subaru impreza wrx awd EV idea

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
storm4710

subaru impreza wrx awd EV idea

Post by storm4710 »

Hey guys
I am planning to convert a 2006 Subaru Impreza WRX to EV 8-)
my idea was to use either 2xPrius gen3/4 transaxles(with 2x coresponding inverters) or 2xRX450H transaxles P313(with 2xGS450H inverters)
to do a system where it can either be RWD or AWD(with damiens boards controlling them)
all would have locked input shafts,
opel zafira electric power steering pump,
bmw up-32 brake vacuum booster,
some kind of oem electric A/C compressor
arrange batteries like a opel ampera/chevy volt battery pack
the plan was 2017 Renault Zoe 40kwh Battery pack, charger and charge plug(but i dont know if that would fit my application)

goals are
100km range
around 4-5 second 0-100kp/h (with AWD and sport mode enabled) ;)
Maybe someday DC fast charging

i dont know much about CAN programming but i am willing to learn,
trained car mechanic so welding, cutting and fabbing is not a problem
it seems nobody is using the built in voltage booster(in the toyota inverters) is there a reason why?

this is the shell i plan to use(it needs a lot of parts and a lot of love to become perfect)

Best Regards
Martin
Denmark
Bratitude

Re: subaru impreza wrx awd EV idea

Post by Bratitude »

hmm why double trans axles? big and heavy.

id recommend you start off with a motor mounted to a 5mt or 6mt(if your real fancy) and go from there. this way you can build a foundation, and get something running. this is my current plan with the brat. em57(leaf gen2) to the awd/4wd trany.
then ill move to a leaf gear box in the rear and a mgr or outlander rear motor up front.

or you get the awd variant of the g450h trany.

the leaf or g450 will get you to your 4-5s mark... pushing for more power your looking at some serious reinforcements on your frame and entire drive line ......and your wallet.

going with a 6mt gives the dccd, so you get active torque biasing. which can be changed on the fly or controlled from the pitch and yaw sensors

another option... into uncharted territory's... is find your self a crosstrek hybrid trany. its toyotas g450h hybrid tech inside. im sure the controllers/communication are nearly identical.

this would give you a very clean drop in system. no weird half shafts, frame cutting, etc.
+ton of battery space.
https://bratindustries.net/ leaf motor couplers, adapter plates, custom drive train components
storm4710

Post by storm4710 »

the idea with the double trans axles is having rwd for range driving and awd for fun/sporty driving while keeping it cheap

a lot of used parts are expensive here :shock:
a leaf motor and inverter is around 3300usd around here
a subaru 5mt without diff is around 1800usd(diff is around 300usd)
a subaru 6mt can usually be had for about 2800usd with diff (around 3500usd if its with dccd)
lexus rx450h transaxle is 1200usd
lexus gs450h inverter is 450usd
prius inverter is 1200usd
prius gearbox is around 900-1000usd
a crosstrek xv hybrid gearbox is 4449usd :shock:
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

storm4710 wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:49 pm the idea with the double trans axles is having rwd for range driving and awd for fun/sporty driving while keeping it cheap
The extra weight will kill any range advantage you might gain from using a single motor.

Have you considered the LS600H transmission?
s-l1600.jpg
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
ZooKeeper

Post by ZooKeeper »

I see two pitfalls with the Prius transaxle idea.... 1) Weight and 2) Space in the rear.

Benefits are cost and availability, but cost does not matter if the parts won't fit under the car.

Since there appears to be no drivetrain at all now, you will be spending (relatively) big dollars no matter what.
Huebner VCU controlling a Gen2 Prius Inverter powering an MGR
"Talent is equally distributed but opportunity is not." - Leila Janah
storm4710

Post by storm4710 »

Kevin Sharpe wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:11 pm
storm4710 wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:49 pm the idea with the double trans axles is having rwd for range driving and awd for fun/sporty driving while keeping it cheap
The extra weight will kill any range advantage you might gain from using a single motor.

Have you considered the LS600H transmission?

s-l1600.jpg
I have not checked that gearbox will do right now :)

edit
it seems like that would be very useable with two subaru R180 3.9ratio diffs
i would like to get as close to 4 seconds 0-100km/h as possible in sport mode 8-)
maybe add a small motor to the input shaft for more power in sport mode
storm4710

Post by storm4710 »

ZooKeeper wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:55 pm I see two pitfalls with the Prius transaxle idea.... 1) Weight and 2) Space in the rear.

Benefits are cost and availability, but cost does not matter if the parts won't fit under the car.

Since there appears to be no drivetrain at all now, you will be spending (relatively) big dollars no matter what.
most of the small parts i can get cheap but big parts are quite expensive
jap

Post by jap »

https://dalys.lt/en/autoparts/lexus/rx- ... ox/5531262

Hard to argue against that price, bet you can shave off decent amount of weight too if you know what you are doing. Add an ampera inverter, second lexus box and some BMW packs.

edit: even cheaper one: https://dalys.lt/en/autoparts/lexus/rx- ... ox/1183899
storm4710

Post by storm4710 »

jap wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:07 pm https://dalys.lt/en/autoparts/lexus/rx- ... ox/5531262

Hard to argue against that price, bet you can shave off decent amount of weight too if you know what you are doing. Add an ampera inverter, second lexus box and some BMW packs.

edit: even cheaper one: https://dalys.lt/en/autoparts/lexus/rx- ... ox/1183899
yeah its pretty insane price wise
storm4710

Post by storm4710 »

ZooKeeper wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:55 pm I see two pitfalls with the Prius transaxle idea.... 1) Weight and 2) Space in the rear.

but it gives me the advantage of getting the parts that i want
shell was free :lol: