Another BMW E36

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
Doig5710

Another BMW E36

Post by Doig5710 »

Hi
I came across this awesome resource a few weeks ago after watching one of damiens many videos.
Am currently changing a rally car build that i was going to be building into a BMW E36 coupe with a BMW V8 and 6 speed but always wanted to do something more along the lines of electric so now the finances are looking better am selling off the ICE stuff and would love to fit either a Tesla LDU or SDU to the rear of the car when i work out which would suit me best.
I live down in New Zealand where anything other than a older Japanese import Nissan Leaf will have to be imported from somewhere else in the world.
Keep up all the great work everyone whos designing and using the gear made here.
Kevin Sharpe

Another BMW E36

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Doig5710 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:59 am would love to fit either a Tesla LDU or SDU to the rear of the car when i work out which would suit me best.
Welcome to the forum :) Have a look at the Lexus GS450H CVT that's used in BEXUS (here). Damien has said several times that given his time again he'd use that in the 8 series rather than the Tesla LDU.
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
RetroZero

Another BMW E36

Post by RetroZero »

Hey there Doig571, I lived in NZ for a few years, there are a few Prius lying about for FWD conversions....Nissan Leaf's will be soon on your doorstep :-)
Kevin Sharpe

Another BMW E36

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Doig5710 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:20 pm I hadnt really looked into the GS450H option but wouldnt think it would be good for prolonged power runs up to 120mph like in a rough racing environment.
While we don't know the racing limitations of the GS450H CVT we do know the Tesla LDU will overheat on the track. I'd suggest you look up Doug Yip's Cobra race car to better understand Tesla limitations.
Doig5710 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:20 pm I had looked at leaf but not sure about power.
It's been dyno tested at 302HP
Doig5710 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:20 pm Also both those options will add more weight and drivetrain complexity than a tesla LDU setup.
The GS450H CVT is 128kg and the Tesla LDU 140kg. The GS450H CVT is much easier to install in a rear wheel drive car simply replacing the transmission. The Tesla LDU will require extensive rear subframe modifications. These two videos will give you some idea of the challenges;

[media][/media]
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
Doig5710

Another BMW E36

Post by Doig5710 »

Kevin Sharpe wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:59 am Have a look at the Lexus GS450H CVT that's used in BEXUS (here). Damien has said several times that given his time again he'd use that in the 8 series rather than the Tesla LDU.
I hadnt really looked into the GS450H option but wouldnt think it would be good for prolonged power runs up to 120mph like in a rough racing environment. I had looked at leaf but not sure about power. Also both those options will add more weight and drivetrain complexity than a tesla LDU setup. Will start a build thread so people can tell me all the things i though about were wrong there keep this for intros.
Kevin Sharpe

Re: Another BMW E36

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Doig5710 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:12 pm Will start a build thread so people can tell me all the things i though about were wrong there keep this for intros.
The thread had some useful information and i've moved it into projects 8-)
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Kevin Sharpe wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:57 pm I'd suggest you look up Doug Yip's Cobra race car to better understand Tesla limitations.
Start here;

https://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/s ... stcount=12
Doig5710

Post by Doig5710 »

Going to be doing something a little different to a daily road car but im always up for a challenge and have a record for taking on projects others cringe at lol.
I have / started with a 1997 BMW E36 coupe as a base for my second rally car, have stripped it down now and selling the V8 petrol stuff i did have planned for it and going to go EV because i only want to do this once and i work on vehicles at a Auto Electrical shop during the day and wire up rally cars for my old work with aftermarket ECUs and custom looms so wires make more sense than a big oil leaking lazy petrol engine.
So i will be fitting a full roll cage, race brakes, suspension and a rewire with aftermarket PDM setup fitted into it also.

I had planned to run a tesla LDU in the back similar to the evwest setup but would need to be mounted slightly higher up so easier to protect from gravel, loose stuff that may hit the gaurd around it. Should be OK with cooling as rally cars not as stressed as track stuff like the cobra has been, less grip etc. Also 320 HP would be heaps so wouldnt be working as hard and have head it is possible to seperate motor and invertor cooling loops with a internal modification.

Have also considered a tesla SDU as its a lot lighter 50 kg ish, smaller so easier to mount and protect. Not sure about HP output, no room for more HP in future if i get bored of it or go to a track day.

The other options being pointed out are lexus, would still need a diff, driveshaft and big mounting brackets to handle the driving. Heavier final setup than LDU and may need gearbox tunnel remodeling also?

Nissan leaf, would still need gearbox, driveshaft, diff which would reduce battery mounting space in engine bay area and be heavy in final package? Also not sure about pushing one for a time at high HP output?

So thats about where im at so far. Feel free to add any info ive missed out or options that are out there. Almost anything would have to imported from overseas so not a good cheap option here other than a leaf but still quite high priced due to limited supply here.
Attachments
15875967072866084568016476424384.jpg
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Doig5710 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:08 pm Have also considered a tesla SDU as its a lot lighter 50 kg ish
It's just over 90kg.
Doig5710 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:08 pm Not sure about HP output
Estimated as 300HP although this has not been validated on a dyno AFAIK.
Doig5710 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:08 pm may need gearbox tunnel remodeling also?
You can bring it forward into the engine compartment if required.
Doig5710 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:08 pm not sure about pushing one for a time at high HP output?
"6 runs in the heat on the dyno";

Doig5710

Post by Doig5710 »

Been a while but have been doing lots of research and reading through posts all the time. Am getting closer to finally starting more on this project, so to date I have brought and had delivered
Gen 2 Tesla charger with EVBMW board fitted
Chevy DCDC charger
Kilovac EV200 contractors with econimizers built in
New set of brakes for the front
BMW Z4 manual rack
Tilton pedal box
Strengthening plates for weak parts of the car
IVT-S current sensor
And lastly a Tesla M3 rear drive unit

Have also ordered most of the connectors and terminals to suit the chargers, bit still on back order so just waiting there. Still to order and sort out the PDM so the cat can be rewired to get rid of all the original heavy BMW wiring.
If anyone could help out I am still looking for rear CV joints or whole axles to suit the M3 drive unit and also plug part numbers for the drive unit so I can order those and get them on the way as well.
Will hopefully be putting more time into this once I get some axles so I can mount the motor in the back end and remount the rear suspension at the same time.
Attachments
16313985053637969471122076830960.jpg
Roughly the space I think I'll have to cut out to fit the motor in.
Roughly the space I think I'll have to cut out to fit the motor in.
16313984516308479823041273287579.jpg
Mons2b

Post by Mons2b »

I don’t suggest you need to be cutting big holes in the car. Use the drive shaft and mount the Tesla motor side ways
Mons2b

Post by Mons2b »

RetroZero wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:08 am Hey there Doig571, I lived in NZ for a few years, there are a few Prius lying about for FWD conversions....Nissan Leaf's will be soon on your doorstep :-)
Can you use a Prius motor in a rear wheel drive?
Isaac96

Post by Isaac96 »

Mons2b wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:31 am I don’t suggest you need to be cutting big holes in the car. Use the drive shaft and mount the Tesla motor side ways
This can work but it comes with tradeoffs. First, you gain the weight of the whole diff.
Second, your gear ratios become extremely messed up.
Do you hook the Tesla diff output to the BMW diff? That won't break 60mph and you'll need to lock the diff.
Do you hook the Tesla motor output to BMW diff? You'll have 1/3 the torque and need a custom case for the motor.
Doig5710

Post by Doig5710 »

Well hopefully in the next few months I'll have some more photos to share, I have the tesla axles and the rear motor loom so just need time to get it into the workshop to get rid of some of the rear floor and subframe to mount the engine.
Because it's being used for motorsport mainly I thought it made a lot more sense to remove all the weight that's not required and tie the roll cage into the new motor mounting points. Also by the time the motors in the back the rear of the car should be about original weight.
Also had Damiens new M3 JTAG adapter arrive so I can put that together in the mean time