40kWh Gen1 Leaf (Pic Heavy)

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
Extremetaz

40kWh Gen1 Leaf (Pic Heavy)

Post by Extremetaz »

Just a quick one to let folks know that this has been done. Some on here will be aware that I picked up a low mileage 181 pack a couple of months back, and most are likely familiar with Muxsan's hardware at this stage - well I took a day trip over to Delft to chat to them and take a look around their place, and EVEurope who share the building:

The have some american chassis' there and have thrown away all the worst bits: ;)

Then they also have these two beauties - which I'd never before seen in the flesh:

...and some total madness tucked away in a corner:

So, as you can imagine, I was in my element (who of us wouldn't be!), but getting back on topic - for anyone here who doesn't know what the Muxsan board looks like, it's available here, and the gitsource is here. It's much the same as Damien's board on EVBMW. Naturally the link to the Muxsan kit there does not include their software to make the whole thing work, that comes with a slightly larger price tag, but still good value (IMO) for the ease that it provides.

In any case, the kit as provided from them looks like this:

So it's very tidy. It's just a 6-wire hookup. Ground is just a ring terminal to any bolt stud on the VCM, 12V comes with a fuse splitter which can be routed to the board at the left side end of the dash and sits nicely into the cabin lighting socket, and then the remaining 4 wires are the CAN ports which get soldered.

Finally then I enclosed mine in a little plastic enclosure that I had lying around and tucked it up behind the glove box.

Naturally, the box will need programming. The traffic from the battery needs to be captured for the battery ID challenge-response details (see the usual canmsgs workbook for the addressing etc..). These have to be taken from the battery bus, they don't appear at the ODB port. I used an Arduino MKR1010 + CAN shield, but you can also use the board itself to do the job. Send the codes over to Muxsan and they send back the appropriately configured HEX file for your install. The board is built around an XMega AVR which is programmed using a PDI interface. I used the Olimex AVR-ISP-MK2, setup as shown below (3.3v power active), along with Atmel Studio 7.

I did the CAN hardware install the evening before I did the battery swap, so my 24kWh pack was still in place. Dashboard before and after install is shown below:

Barring the regen and temperature readouts, it worked just fine - and I figured that if it wasn't compatible with the 24kWh battery I could just jumper the CANbus connectors to re-establish the original bus. Didn't need to in the end and the car never actually went into an immobilised or turtle state.

Everyone here is likely familiar with the battery swap procedure so no need to go into that bit, but the Yazaki connector is changed between the 11MY and 13MY+ cars, so that has to be revised. The respective pin outs are below, and it's almost exactly a pin-for-pin swap. If you've managed to get the newer yazaki connector from a Leaf and not an Evalia/NV200, it's very straightforward. The Evalia/NV200 has some redundant wires and the colour mappings are slightly more different. There are only one or two wire colour changes in the former case.

Once you've swapped over the Yazaki, it's just a case of plugging into the pack and taping up the redundant Heatpump port as shown below:

Body panels back on and car off the lift, the next startup looks like this:

and I can tell you - that's a feckin' great feeling to see those numbers on this chassis. :D

In the time since, the missus has been down and back to Tipperary town from here (Moyvalley), not taking it easy on the pack (so full motorway speeds for most of it), for the sake of a 20minute stop at Cashel and a few hours parked at the street charger in the town while she was visiting her Mum. That's a 340km round trip and the car ran flawlessly.

There's ~600km done in total since the swap and no issues from fully charged right down to low battery warning. Range estimation seems to track the usual ~20% high at full charge and is very linear in how it drops. I estimate the actual range under combined driving cycle conditions to be ~200km which is pretty much what I expected.

Given the mileage on my car I also refreshed the shocks at all corners, and pressed a new set of bushings into the swingarms.
The car is quite literally driving at least as well as the day it left the showroom 8 years ago, and with almost twice the original range.
Electrolytic capacitors notwithstanding, I expect to see 500000km before this battery is done. I'd be interested in any opinions regarding how long I should expect the power stages to last before those caps give out - might recondition a salvage drive and have it ready for fitting in that event depending on what the consensus is. The way I see it, they're about the only thing that's likely to cause any major issues over the next 5-8 years. Bearing wear I'll hear and correct as required, but there's not a hint of any of it yet.

Beyond that the next projects will likely be to update the interior to SVE spec, and parallel another charger to bring her to 6.7kW from the stock 3.6kW. Both as funds become available.

For any wondering, the recovered 24kWh pack is from a 131 registered 11MY (so the same pack) which I put in at 220000km with 30000km done. It's still strong apart from 1 weak cell pulling it down and will go on to refit a Vectrix VX-1 that I have here out of one half of it, and the rest is TBD. ...might try electrifying the ride-on lawnmower yet. :lol:

Anyways - hope the above is helpful/enlightening/encouraging... but above all I hope that it helps us keep these early Gen chassis on the road for a least 20 years. 8-)

*edit - per Kevin's request below have uploaded the most important pics direct to the thread.
Attachments
Dashboard - 24kWh pack pre instal
Dashboard - 24kWh pack pre instal
Dashboard - CITM fitted, 40kWh pack
Dashboard - CITM fitted, 40kWh pack
12V power on fuseboard
12V power on fuseboard
CANbus Splice, just below passenger cup holder
CANbus Splice, just below passenger cup holder
Dashboard - CITM fitted, 24kWh pack
Dashboard - CITM fitted, 24kWh pack
CITM Kit
CITM Kit
Olimex jumper settings
Olimex jumper settings
11MY Yazaki pinout
11MY Yazaki pinout
13MY+ Yazaki pinout
13MY+ Yazaki pinout
Break it; Fix it; Repeat;
JaniK

Re: 40kWh Gen1 Leaf (Pic Heavy)

Post by JaniK »

Great stuff!
Any opinions are my own, unless stated otherwise. I take no responsibility if you follow my way of doing things and it doesn't work. Please double check with someone who knows what they are doing.
Igor

Post by Igor »

Great info and write-up. Thank you!
MattsAwesomeStuff

Post by MattsAwesomeStuff »

Nothing like a well documented build. Well done!
jerrykco

Post by jerrykco »

Great write up.
Jerry Kauffman
jerryk48 at gmail dot com
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Extremetaz wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:09 am Naturally the link to the Muxsan kit there does not include their software to make the whole thing work, that comes with a slightly larger price tag, but still good value (IMO) for the ease that it provides.
How much was the software?
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
Extremetaz

Post by Extremetaz »

Kevin Sharpe wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:10 pm How much was the software?
They're not fully decided on that point yet - I got a discount as they're still fine tuning the software, and developing the installation procedure, so they don't consider the product to be a 'complete' offering yet. Expect something in the €950 range.
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Extremetaz wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:11 am
Kevin Sharpe wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:10 pm How much was the software?
They're not fully decided on that point yet - I got a discount as they're still fine tuning the software, and developing the installation procedure, so they don't consider the product to be a 'complete' offering yet. Expect something in the €950 range.
Many thanks!

Can I also request that in future you post the photos direct to the forum rather than via a third party hosting site? We're trying to avoid the scenario where the third party host stops offering free hosting and the thread becomes useless.
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
Extremetaz

Post by Extremetaz »

Yes - certainly, and apologies - I've traditionally found the case to be precisely the opposite.
I'll fix that shortly.

*edit: Fixed
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Extremetaz wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:36 pm Yes - certainly, and apologies - I've traditionally found the case to be precisely the opposite.
No need to apologise and many thanks for your understanding :)