[DRIVING] leaf powered 1983 Subaru BRAT (dual outlander WIP)

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
Bratitude

Re: Leaf powerd lifted Subaru BRAT

Post by Bratitude »

JaniK wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:47 pm Hmm. I know a place where they could laser cut discs like that damien.io just posted. Should I arrange for group buy? Postage from Finland is propably high though.. :(

Too soon. We haven’t reached a final design yet. The spline geometry is close but not a good enough match for my liking. It might work but I’m not going to risk damaging the leaf shaft
https://bratindustries.net/ leaf motor couplers, adapter plates, custom drive train components
P.S.Mangelsdorf

Post by P.S.Mangelsdorf »

MattsAwesomeStuff wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:10 am
Gen2 chevy volt battery (18kwh)1000$ cad
Share your secrets, witch!
I second this. Where the hell did you find that?
If at first you don't succeed, buy a bigger hammer.

1940 Chevrolet w/ Tesla LDU - "Shocking Chevy" - Completed 2023 Hot Rod Drag Week
doobedoobedo

Post by doobedoobedo »

Bratitude wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:35 am
doobedoobedo wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:55 pm Yes I printed the whole thing, not particularly solidly and at quite crude settings. I just wanted to see if it'd fit.
It will go over the o-ring, but I didn't push it on that far, like I said it's a snug fit, I had to knock it on and lever it off.
If I'd pushed it all the way on I would have had to destroy it to get it off. As it is the levering left dents. It's getting easier to get on and off though, as I'd expect.
Oh okay, yes I think the trough of the splines is catching the crown of the leaf, I’ll have an update next few days with it involuted as well
I'd be wary of using 3d printed plastic parts to judge if tolerances are correct.
JaniK

Post by JaniK »

Bratitude wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:21 pm
JaniK wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:47 pm Hmm. I know a place where they could laser cut discs like that damien.io just posted. Should I arrange for group buy? Postage from Finland is propably high though.. :(

Too soon. We haven’t reached a final design yet. The spline geometry is close but not a good enough match for my liking. It might work but I’m not going to risk damaging the leaf shaft
Ok, I will supply with actual costs if needed. I have 2machine shops that I have used for my personal project before that I know can do lot of stuff.. just PM if something comes up. :)
Any opinions are my own, unless stated otherwise. I take no responsibility if you follow my way of doing things and it doesn't work. Please double check with someone who knows what they are doing.
Bratitude

Post by Bratitude »

damian.lo wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:57 pm Hello,

I'm really happy, that Bratitude did his 3d model of spline in last days, because I was searching my way to replace my spline from Multipla 1.6 clutch disc. First I want to go to to Honda 1.8 spline, which like Zapatero said was a little to loose ( about 0,2mm) but then I was curious how will fit spline from You.
Result after wire cutter EDM is visible on pictures. Like is written above: higher diameter is ok, lower 19,22 is a little to small and was needed to brush a little with sand paper, so in next version first I will cut by wire and next make chamfer on end and clean inside on internal grinding machine. Everything will be welded inside of Rotex also with small endpoint for motor axis.
I hope this will good and will be not necessary to take one more time gearbox out.
Bratitude: thanks for Your job :)

This is awesome, do You think you can take some macro shots of the coupler on the shaft? would like to see the meshing of face angles, involutes, chamfers, etc. If you can backlit, so light shines, threw that helps.

19,22 so the trough of the coupler splines needs to be deeper ? We only want the faces to contact, not the top and bottom of the spines.
https://bratindustries.net/ leaf motor couplers, adapter plates, custom drive train components
damian.lo

Post by damian.lo »

Yes, I will do all photos, which can help You, but tomorrow. Today I left this disc on my desk at work ;)
What I saw, angle was ok, outer diameter was good, because is enough space between external diameter of Leaf spline and bigger diameter of my coupler. Problem was with smaller (19,22 between opposite hills of teeth) diameter of coupler. After wire cutting was necessary to brush with paper. My spline will be 35mm long, so after cutting will be grinded on machine like I wrote.
Emyr

Post by Emyr »

doobedoobedo wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:03 pm I'd be wary of using 3d printed plastic parts to judge if tolerances are correct.
Very much this, every printable plastic demonstrates shrinkage as the part cools from the glass transition temperature to room temperature. PLA shrinks less than ABS because ABS's GTT is 105c, and PLA's GTT is 60-65c, so an ABS part has twice as "far" to shrink.

The shrinking isn't consistent in 3 dimensions: it varies according to part geometry due to the internal tensions, with larger sections of an object demonstrating more shrinkage than smaller parts. This is often shown with the bottom corners of a print lifting off the bed.
damian.lo

Post by damian.lo »

Hello,

Yesterday I did more photos of your spline and is how I wrote last time. In my opinion spline shape is ok. What should be bigger is tooth height - means internal diameter of spline: 19,22 +0,05. On monday I should receive spline 35mm long and grinded inside, so should fit better. Gap between outer diameter of motor spline and inner diameter of my coupler is visible now only where is light, but of course is the same all around.
Attachments
IMG_2477.JPG
Bratitude

Post by Bratitude »

damian.lo wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:27 pm Hello,

Yesterday I did more photos of your spline and is how I wrote last time. In my opinion spline shape is ok. What should be bigger is tooth height - means internal diameter of spline: 19,22 +0,05. On monday I should receive spline 35mm long and grinded inside, so should fit better. Gap between outer diameter of motor spline and inner diameter of my coupler is visible now only where is light, but of course is the same all around.

Awesome, re-reviewing the photo, looks like the depth coupler is too long and need to wifi the teeth/ adjust angle. Have you received your new piece yet? how dose it fit?
damian.lo

Post by damian.lo »

Hi again,

Parts I received at saturday, so I had a few days to do trials :)
Result is below on pictures and I think - it's okay. Like I said - we regrinded a little internal diameter but it was less than 0,05 - in practise it was only a touch :)
Mine spline now is welded together with Rotex, because it was sorry to felt him (!), but next version will be probably like Yours one part with rotex clutch side.
I saw, that You want to produce those parts - can You say in which metod - EDM or other? If You will have problem with EDM machining I can ask my friend what will be cost here on place.
Info: here means Poland :)
One more time: thanks for Your spline investigation.
Attachments
IMG_2523.JPG
IMG_2519.JPG
Cookie6000

Post by Cookie6000 »

Great work here guys
Keeping a close eye. Getting the STL file 3D printed just to have a play on my side. I have access to a machine shop so will work from the plastic template bearing in mind the shrinkage discussed. Keep it up!
Home of the #Audi8e - https://twitter.com/FiachraCooke
slow67

Post by slow67 »

Can you share the STL file?
Bratitude

Post by Bratitude »

damian.lo wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:30 pm Hi again,

Parts I received at saturday, so I had a few days to do trials :)
Result is below on pictures and I think - it's okay. Like I said - we regrinded a little internal diameter but it was less than 0,05 - in practise it was only a touch :)
Mine spline now is welded together with Rotex, because it was sorry to felt him (!), but next version will be probably like Yours one part with rotex clutch side.
I saw, that You want to produce those parts - can You say in which metod - EDM or other? If You will have problem with EDM machining I can ask my friend what will be cost here on place.
Info: here means Poland :)
One more time: thanks for Your spline investigation.
Awesome work! Very cool to see

I’ve made an update and changed the Piece to match the rotex bolt pattern and increased the internal spline radius. Slight change in face angle. Based off the 1in long 3d printed parts, it the best fit yet.

https://github.com/angusjo/leaf-splines ... xtleaf.STL

I was thinking of getting 5 or 10 cnc’d from 3dhub. looks like it will be cheaper this way than wire edm, how much was it for yours?
slow67

Post by slow67 »

Bratitude wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:27 pm looks like it will be cheaper this way than wire edm
Yeah I was quoted something like $275 per part just to EDM out the leaf splines (with the rest of the part fully machined already). And that was a through hole, blind hole was $375.
Thanks! I'm going to print one up and test on my motors here too.
Bratitude

Post by Bratitude »

slow67 wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:55 am
Bratitude wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:27 pm looks like it will be cheaper this way than wire edm
Yeah I was quoted something like $275 per part just to EDM out the leaf splines (with the rest of the part fully machined already). And that was a through hole, blind hole was $375.
Thanks! I'm going to print one up and test on my motors here too.

Sweet, update us once u have tested.

yeah so with bulk pricing we are looking at maybe around 100$

I would like to take a small cut for all the work and time, but would amount to a cost-free coupler for myself.
zippy500

Post by zippy500 »

Is there a CAD file for this
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

zippy500 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:28 pm Is there a CAD file for this
is this what you're looking for?

https://github.com/angusjo/leaf-splines
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
zippy500

Post by zippy500 »

Thank you
purplespark

Post by purplespark »

That's great work guys.
I'd be interested in buying the Rotex one . Please let us know when you have a definite price .
I'm in the uk ,so shipping will probably be quite high !
Bratitude

Post by Bratitude »

Some updates:

coupler/ general assembly finalized
AA391829-2B41-444B-851F-A45C9BBEE482.jpeg
1102681E-B23E-4FB6-A1D0-3C02ECECD707.jpeg
wood mock-up cnc’d
A46B938A-02A3-436E-853B-B42A2F24DB89.jpeg
The old ea81 Subaru engine with the bell-housing removed. I’ll graft this bolt pattern onto the adapter plate. back spacing as a result looks like it will be a good fit.
FEBCF976-55BC-40E5-AA66-136382BFB2D8.jpeg
Transmission, engine bell-housing, mock up couplers/adapter and gen2 leaf
A9DFB1DC-C3A8-4CC5-923E-97DB6AAF78D4.jpeg
Bratitude

Post by Bratitude »

B807BA51-9F03-49F8-BBC4-616532AACD43.jpeg
B807BA51-9F03-49F8-BBC4-616532AACD43.jpeg (67.26 KiB) Viewed 8706 times
Couplers have arrived. Fit like clockwork.

next up get the milled aluminum plate and angular contact bearing, then motor is ready to go.

slight change in plans, I’m going direct drive to the rear diff. starting off with the readily available Subaru r160. Then can move to it’s big brother, r180 and r200, easily. and forgo the tranny.
this gives me the added benefit of quickly swapping in a new diff when I blow one.

As such, this sets things up for dual motor awd in the future.

Quite a few highlander motors available near me...
celeron55

Post by celeron55 »

Bratitude wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:32 am slight change in plans, I’m going direct drive to the rear diff.
Direct drive from the Leaf motor to a 4.1 ratio differential? That's going to be really bad for acceleration.
jerrykco

Post by jerrykco »

Bratitude wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:08 am Some updates:

coupler/ general assembly finalized
AA391829-2B41-444B-851F-A45C9BBEE482.jpeg1102681E-B23E-4FB6-A1D0-3C02ECECD707.jpeg

wood mock-up cnc’d
A46B938A-02A3-436E-853B-B42A2F24DB89.jpeg

The old ea81 Subaru engine with the bell-housing removed. I’ll graft this bolt pattern onto the adapter plate. back spacing as a result looks like it will be a good fit.FEBCF976-55BC-40E5-AA66-136382BFB2D8.jpeg

Transmission, engine bell-housing, mock up couplers/adapter and gen2 leaf

A9DFB1DC-C3A8-4CC5-923E-97DB6AAF78D4.jpeg
Hey Bratitude I would love to get a Solidworks.sldprt of the adapter. Can you share?
Jerry Kauffman
jerryk48 at gmail dot com
Bratitude

Post by Bratitude »

celeron55 wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:55 am
Bratitude wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:32 am slight change in plans, I’m going direct drive to the rear diff.
Direct drive from the Leaf motor to a 4.1 ratio differential? That's going to be really bad for acceleration.
Looking at picking up a 4.44, but after doing the math. Your right. It would just be a faster rout to movement at this point. but going back to the gear box now that I have a backup
Bratitude

Post by Bratitude »

Back it!

Hardware for new wider front lca.
thanks to UB machine and tssfab
43AA179C-FB54-4D2E-AC63-3C3C9DC450D9.jpeg
charger v5 from damien, thank you!
797D6FC4-67B2-4F18-99B2-2B1C979A0567.jpeg
Finishing up a j1772 port to bolt right into the original fuel knock location
AAE10D19-F2C7-46EC-A293-A88C9F7CB073.jpeg
AD54E3D9-BB66-4AA9-BD42-37D45CD565E3.jpeg