[DRIVING] The Audi 8e - Powered by Leaf

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
Cookie6000

Re: The Audi 8e - Powered by Leaf

Post by Cookie6000 »

RetroZero wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:45 pm Yes, great detailed posts. I will be using a prius battery for testing like you have on your bench. ;) How do you recharge it BTW?
Thanks. Hope to do the same in the videos too. I'm learning as I go! On the charging, good question :lol: I did have an idea A: hooking it up to someones Prius and going for a spin, B: buying a very cheap Prius to use as a glorified charger or C: finding a charger on aliexpress that'll do the job ;)
Home of the #Audi8e - https://twitter.com/FiachraCooke
celeron55

Post by celeron55 »

Plug the pack into mains through an incandescent bulb and a rectifier, and go check the voltmeter every hour or so? 8-)

I mean... that could work as a very slow ghetto charger on a car too. Just fit 5 of those BMW hybrid modules to get a charge voltage of about 330V and it won't even overcharge at rectified 230VAC. None of that CANbus nonsense!
Cookie6000

Post by Cookie6000 »

It has been a busy few weeks. Lost my job there a few weeks back so have thrown myself at the Audi to get it where it is today - spinning wheels! :D

To get things moving along while I waited for the adapter plate to arrive, I started by fabricating a plate for the Leaf throttle pedal to attach to the cast alu bracket where the old cable pedal once lived. Thinking about it after I ripped the pedal out, I could have used the likes of the Zero EV hall effect throttle module, placed it in the engine bay and actuated it with the old cable but, eagerness got the better of me :D . I reused some of the heavy gauge metal from parts of the leaf in an attempt to carry on the upcycling. Worked out really well as the corrugations and curves I used added a lot of extra structural strength so little or no twisting when you bury your foot.
20200603_215240.jpg
20200603_222110.jpg
Not long after, the adapter plate arrived and was so well worth the wait! SO well finished. Was very happy with the results and happy that I made the extra effort rechecking all those measurements for the EM61 and the 01E gearbox over and over to make sure it was bang on in CAD. One last thing I was able to do at my brothers workshop next door was to countersink the motor bolts by 10mm so there was no fouling of the bell housing and I could reuse the old bolts as they would now have plenty of thread to attach. Once tidied up, it was time to throw the coupler in, attach them all up and take it for a spin!
20200607_155859.jpg
20200619-080249.jpg
https://twitter.com/FiachraCooke/status ... 09921?s=20
When spinning in neutral there was a bit of rattle but cleaner when in gear. I think the coupler is making a bit of a noise as it rests on a collar to the rear of the bell housing and the play in on the Leaf end where there is a bit of play in the Multipla splines. Not an issue. I had yet to put in any gearbox oil also so this may quieten things again.

Time then, to do what else but crane it into place in the engine bay at last. Decks cleared, Audi rolled out I got the hoist back in and lined it all up. Took a bit of messing to get it in there and a realisation I had one of the gearbox mounts in upside down :lol: but soon the lump was sitting happy where it should be, with a space of 20mm between subframe and the bottom of the motor.
20200608_165039.jpg
20200611_141459.jpg
Next up, how to get the motor to support itself. Now came 2 days of templates, cutting, fitting, welding, cutting, more fitting and lots of milling but very happy with the result, especially on the RHS which was complicated by the coolant o/p being in the way where we needed to get some extra strength. Had a couple of options for this one, one being attaching from the front of the motor and coming around the side but I chose the one you see here.
20200617_105605.jpg
There was a lot of playing with inverter/hv junction box location also in all sorts of orientations, taking into account the reuse of the Leaf three-phase shielded cable, the i/p and o/p coolant locations, accessibility to all HV connectors when in place and the low voltage plug system. What you see here was the best by far leaving plenty of access and space for pipes to do their thing... and it looks good, like an old 1970's Audi 100 engine that leant over at 40 degree angle :D
20200617_110150.jpg
I spent the next day again, measuring, cutting, welding and fitting the upper frame to holding the inverter and HVJB, again, designing it best so it was as serviceable as possible, easy to remove and put back in if needed without much hassle while still being solid. That done, all was bolted down and I made up the 2 x HV cables for the inverter to HVJB, reusing the gland on the inverter which will keep it weathertight and the broad to remove any interference to the signalling in the area.
20200617_170545.jpg
Final jobs, lump the Prius pack into the boot, rig up a temporary contactor on switch for that, run the HV cables front to rear and into the HVJB, connect up the @EVBMW Leaf VCU into the old Audi ECU harness in the passenger footwell, wire up the contactors, hop in, cross the fingers and turn the key! *Click-Clack......Clack*.

Gingerly press pedal annnnnd.....

Woohoo! Have a load of video so will have something up soon after I take it for a wee bit of back and forth on the drive :lol:
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Cookie6000 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:40 am Woohoo! Have a load of video so will have something up soon after I take it for a wee bit of back and forth on the drive :lol:
Congratulations :D
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
Cookie6000

Post by Cookie6000 »

Kevin Sharpe wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:49 am
Cookie6000 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:40 am Woohoo! Have a load of video so will have something up soon after I take it for a wee bit of back and forth on the drive :lol:
Congratulations :D
Thanks Kevin. @Evbmw & OpenInverter made it happen :D
Here's the first roll
Stephen Darbey

Post by Stephen Darbey »

Hi Fiachra.

Did you charge the test Prius battery pack via the Celeron way or another ? As you will have gathered I'm focused on battery charging at the mo.
Great work on the Audi.

Regards
Stephen
SDev
Cookie6000

Post by Cookie6000 »

Stephen Darbey wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:06 pm Did you charge the test Prius battery pack via the Celeron way or another ? As you will have gathered I'm focused on battery charging at the mo.
Great work on the Audi.
I didn't, no. I decided to press straight ahead to getting the full Leaf pack in there and look at the charging of the Prius pack at a later date. If I get back to a charging solution it I'll post it up here for sure.
RetroZero

Post by RetroZero »

Nice work and thanks for documentation. Bravo 👏
Cookie6000

Post by Cookie6000 »

Took a couple of weeks off with the family after getting the Audi rolling. Staycation in the west of Ireland where rain, mist and wind was the order of the day :lol: It gave me plenty of time to plan and think about the next big step. Full Leaf pack install.

First off, the front battery box to hold 20 of the 48 modules - 24 go where the petrol tank used to be and the remaining 4, to the left of the engine bay in a separate battery box. Time to hone those stick welding skills! My brother has a Mig next door but the running back and forth to his workshop was slowing things down so I sped things up by using the stick. Back to basics. Took a little time but I made most of the mess on the cross member that ran left to right between the chassis rails to catch the rear of the battery box. Pretty happy with the results. I measured the 30x30x3mm angle built box to take into account the threaded bar nuts at either end of the 20 cell 'brick' as well as some EVA foam mat I had got my hands on to remove some innaccuracies in the fit when the battery was dropped in. When time came for the test fit of the cage, I found it was a touch too high so I dropped the cross member by 20mm with a few amendments and all was right.
20200706_183129.jpg
20200712_115926.jpg
Time to put it together. I had thought of a number of different ways to build the box (local fabricators were out the door busy so went the DIY route) and found one guy in the US who had gone the same route when faced with zero alu welding skills - build the frame and bond in the aluminium walls to create a sealed tub. As you can see, I cut back the angle on the top section to allow the whole brick to be dropped in in one go so they could be all tightened up to the original tolerances, preventing swelling during operation. For the 20 cells, those added up to 680mm end to end. Iwas able to cross check against the 24 pack I still had fully assembled. In the end, I found that once you tighted the threaded bar up, there is a point where you just cannot go any further as the cell chassis bolt holes meet, creating the perfect distance. Perfect fit!... yeah... more on that later :?
20200723_090829.jpg
In the mean time, as I was waiting for the bonding to work its magic (spoiler alert - the magic sucked!) I decided it was the better time as any to strip out ALL the metal work, clean it down, prime it and give it a good dose of hardcore black! :D So worth the effort. When it all went back in, it looks the business... I swear, it looks OEM.... mwahahaha!... ah... that's a good one... ahhh. *sniff*. Well... If it weren't for the mouldy welding and you had bottle ends for glasses, it might have looked OEM :D Still. I was happy that at least for a while, rust was surpressed.
20200723_084532.jpg
Again, while things dried, It was time for the cooling system. For this, I ditched the Leaf circulation pump as I didn't want to start the whole rigmarole of dealing with PWM and wanted a blunt tool for the job. In step, the Bosch A0018353564 used mainly in the Mercedes Vito vans and ML series but also across VAG and Ford so, readily available for €20 on ebay and seems to be a weapon of choice as a result. The radiator, as cooling is not going to be that much of an issue and my second vice is motorcycles, came from a Honda CBF1000. It had the same hose size as the Leaf ports and was a perfect little unit for those blistering summer days we get on the sunny south east of Ireland :lol: I used all the hoses and clamps I salvaged from 2 broken Leafs for next to nothing on visits to scrap yards for other bits. I got a number of different sized Tee's to take into account the Audi coolant tank. In essence, the flow come from the motor - to the pump - leave pump into a Tee (3rd branch to overflow of coolant tank) - main feeds to top of rad - out the bottom of rad- to another Tee (3rd branch from bottom of coolant tank - back up and into the heater matrix - out of matrix - into inverter - out of inverter - into motor. I had various plans to put in a split system for winter/summer (using a BMW/RangeRover solenoid) but ended up sticking with this for now. I may delete the matrix part altogether as from what I have seen, I will get bugger all heat from the motor/inveter when I need it to demist. I have seen Damien is planning to release something that he put into the Deranged Rover so, I'll keep an eye on that for cabin heating. It's either that or swap the matrix for the Mk5 Golf heater element. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SKODA-Octavi ... SwElNe2iZc. Again... I'll wear gloves and hat and thermals this winter... and keep the windows open to clear the windows
20200723_112522.jpg
So anyway, back to the battery... yes it fitted and I was well chuffed... something wasn't right though. I had not put on the end plates used in the normal Leaf pack that prevents battery swell and already the modules at either end had a noticeable... bulge. Balls... There just wasn't room! Or was there... I took the box out for the 4th time (don't ask). BY this time I had found a novel way of taking the 'brick' in and out of the box. Turn it on its head, yes.. protecting the terminals with foam. Anyway, with a lot of coaxing, I managed to get the end plates on and getting it to fit using the slimest of fasterners I could dig out. The results were 1mm each end I would say. Toight!
20200724_143907.jpg
20200726_215802.jpg
It was about this time I found out the crap 'solution' I had for bonding the alu pannels in was just that. I took the opportunity and stripped it all apart again! THis time, it all went back together with proper panel bonding material... Job done. Battery brick in, crane in for the 20th time (which by now is a piece of piss) and that is not coming out again 8-)
20200722_152714.jpg
Time then for battery-box-mini. This I did in the last couple of days using just good old aluminium plate, rivets, my no favourite bonding goo and left over Leaf pack plate to make up the mounting brackets to hold it in place in the left hand side of the engine bay. Since this pic was taken, I have actually cut and extended the terminal end to make more room for the pos and neg glands for easier access, less stress on the battery terminals and overall... just less stress :D
20200729_152721.jpg
WHile all this was going on, I also tackled the new layout of the busbars and Leaf BMS wiring. Took a couple of nights and a lot of looking at it... for long periods of time.... before I figured out how to break apart the old arrangement into one that I wanted, similar to the likes of Shane did on the Porsche and Johannes in the Touran. I ordered some new male and female connectors to allow hooking it up to the rear back and got a lot of multicore from an old scrapped CNC machine to run front to back 8-)
20200729_164703.jpg
Things still outstanding?
DC-DC. Really need to get on this. I pulled out the Panasonic unit from the Leaf and I know there is a way to get it running. There is a video from EVTV floating around where they got it working a long time back. Otherwise, suggestions?

Charging. I have a Chademo and a Type 2 port to play with. First plan was to go for the Tesla Gen 2 with EVBMW v5 board but cant afford that right now but will be on the list including the CCS adapter kit and controller over on the other Tesla Gen 2 charger thread. I am keeping a close eye on the great work Isaac and Damien are doing on getting the Chademo controller working and am planning on getting a 2nd Leaf VCU to help with testing.

Thats' it for now. Hope to get started on the rear pack next week then we are good to go for a spin again :D
Dilbert

Post by Dilbert »

If you are looking for a charging and DC-DC solution you should consider the outlander PHEV unit, it contains both in the one package, it would fit in a spare wheel well or even in the boot, although getting the cooling pipes down there might be an issue. There's a chance it might even fit where your current lead acid battery is and then use a smaller 12V aux battery.

The DC-DC converter in this is controlled via 1 pin on the unit and the main charger is controlled via CAN. There is no shortage of these units on ebay and they often come with the main charging socket.
Bigpie

Post by Bigpie »

This bloke has the DC DC working and charging with the looks of it, I think he's on this forum also.
VW Beetle 2003
Outlander front generator
Prius Gen 3 inverter (EVBMW logic board)
Outlander charger
3x Golf GTE batteries
Chademo Charging
Outlander water heater
Cookie6000

Post by Cookie6000 »

Dilbert wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:37 am If you are looking for a charging and DC-DC solution you should consider the outlander PHEV unit, it contains both in the one package, it would fit in a spare wheel well or even in the boot, although getting the cooling pipes down there might be an issue. There's a chance it might even fit where your current lead acid battery is and then use a smaller 12V aux battery.

The DC-DC converter in this is controlled via 1 pin on the unit and the main charger is controlled via CAN. There is no shortage of these units on ebay and they often come with the main charging socket.
That's a great idea Dilbert, thanks. Just had a look and yep, plenty around sub £250. I'll take a closer look and see if it fits the bill.
Cookie6000

Post by Cookie6000 »

Bigpie wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:01 am This bloke has the DC DC working and charging with the looks of it, I think he's on this forum also.
Cheers Bigpie. Interesting how it just begins charging as soon as it's lit up. Wonder if it was the same on the Gen 1 I have. Once I have the full pack in, I'll run a few tests. See it here taking up a chunk of space inside the charger section of the stack. I took it out and it looks fairly straight forward to get it up and running.
20200510_165459.jpg
I found the EVTV link. From 1:47:04 he goes though how to get the DC-DC running.
Dilbert

Post by Dilbert »

Cookie6000 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:09 pm
Dilbert wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:37 am If you are looking for a charging and DC-DC solution you should consider the outlander PHEV unit, it contains both in the one package, it would fit in a spare wheel well or even in the boot, although getting the cooling pipes down there might be an issue. There's a chance it might even fit where your current lead acid battery is and then use a smaller 12V aux battery.

That's a great idea Dilbert, thanks. Just had a look and yep, plenty around sub £250. I'll take a closer look and see if it fits the bill.
I have one and tested both the charger and dc-dc on the bench. The same unit was also used in a number of EVs (imev, Peugeot etc...)

The wiring is well documented and we have decoded the can bus commands. You will need an ecu to issue the can commands to init the charger, setting the charge current and stopping the charge at the correct voltage. I've posted some Arduino due code to test the charger.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=628&start=50#p9834
Cookie6000

Post by Cookie6000 »

Well, we got there.
It has been a few weeks since the 1st drive using the Prius test pack but today I got the full 380v 24kWh Leaf pack cabled up. Barely touching the pedal but it's a ripper! Hope to have an up to date video soon on the latest. Hope to get it weighed tomorrow, start making some of the temp wiring more permanent, change the front shocks (they are shot!), get some decent rubber mounts for the rear battery pack...and, and, and... :lol:
20200813_190023.jpg
Speedy

Post by Speedy »

Fantastic!

Bet you're well pleased with the result.

Only minor jobs left now (compared to what you've done already :D )
zippy500

Post by zippy500 »

looks very tidy, nice work
DaveH

Post by DaveH »

Excellent. Looking forward to when you get it out on the road.
Cookie6000

Post by Cookie6000 »

As is the way of electric conversions, a few steps forward lead to a few backward. She refuses to move :?
Yesterday morning (Friday) I got in, turned the key and initiated the usual three clicks as the pre ch/neg/main contactors did their business and back we went with no issue. I had planned to weigh the car so set up the scales, got back in and turned the key, 'click', click',...... nothing. And that was the theme for the rest of the day....

I have posted all the detail over here in the VCU thread as it may be something more in that side.
viewtopic.php?f=4&p=15353#p15353

In more postive news, I got to weight the car :D . Not bad considering. 58/42 weight distribution and corner weights are within 5kg of each other. A little nose heavy but good for a FWD car I guess correct me if I am wrong. Overall weight is down about 20kg, that includes 10kg dummy ballast in the boot for charger and other bits.
20200814_135050.jpg
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Cookie6000 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:26 am In more postive news, I got to weight the car :D . Not bad considering. 58/42 weight distribution and corner weights are within 5kg of each other. A little nose heavy but good for a FWD car I guess correct me if I am wrong. Overall weight is down about 20kg, that includes 10kg dummy ballast in the boot for charger and other bits.
That's very good news... any idea what the original ICE car weighed?
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
Cookie6000

Post by Cookie6000 »

Gross weight is 1870kg on the VIN plate but the kerb weight is anything between 1260kg to 1380kg depending where you search. Either way, it's just below or close to the same weight as it was before.
RetroZero

Post by RetroZero »

Good weight distribution 👌
Cookie6000

Post by Cookie6000 »

Bit more of an update since the full pack fitting and roll.

We need to get this car charging so have fitted the Model S/X Gen 2 10kW charger and Damiens V4 brain board. Swapping and setting up the new V4 board was straight forward.
20200831_210529.jpg
I have the AC set to 3 Amps to start as I get things up and running. Going with single phase from a 32A breaker so not convinced the stock 2mm wires from the Leaf type 1 port will be up to much more as it gets cranked up :D . Will swap them out once testing is over. As another temp solution till I get some more cash, the DC and AC 2mm HV interconnecting between the Gen 2 charger, hence the glorious mix of red and earth 2mm wires, all hooked up to the extememly handy Tesla HVJB to connect everything up. I found my solar PV DC cable crimper the perfect fit for the 171825-0100 connectors to fit the molex 44441-2006 housing.
20200911_145637.jpg
12v added via a supply from the ABS unit in the boot plus the proximity and control and the HVJB, charger and anything else that felt the need is well grounded to the chassis. And yes... eagle eyes may have noticed that I did see fit to loacte the precious Gen 2 on a block of solid mahogany. Quite an insulator...
IMG-20200911-WA0004.jpeg
To get me hooked up, I found a great stock clearance deal from myenergi on ebay for a Type 1 EVSE. Found some 6sq T&E on the local 'sell you anything' Adverts.ie so hope to have that tomorrow to get that connected up.
20200908_104441.jpg
Next up make a decent job of the charge port. I found the original weather seal from the old tank filler which had the same diameter as the rubber neck on the charge port. Perfect ;) I stepped back into my Cardboard Aided Design shoes and made myself a template to secure the socket to that would take the force of many, many, many (presumption much...) many, many chargings.
20200914_105303.jpg
20200914_154600.jpg
20200914_161106.jpg
Took all day, fitting, refitting, tweaking as I'm all about the detail but, happy with the result.
20200914_161139.jpg
Next up, the too long forgotten DC/DC. I had been trying to get the old Leaf DC converter working but just didn't spend the time in getting a PWM signal knocked up for it. I was talking to kevin about it and he suggested the water cooled TDK DC/DC unit fitted to the Ford Transit Connect by Azure Dynamics and other hybrids in the ford range. Lars then graciously sent me on the control pinout on how to get it running. Pretty robust and simple unit really and I'll go into more detail on it in the next update when I get it fitted.
20200913_113327.jpg
RetroZero

Post by RetroZero »

Very nice job Cookie. All in the details 👌
Boxster EV

Post by Boxster EV »

Excellent write up, Cookie. Enjoying following the build.
Porsche 986 powered by a Tesla large drive unit. Backwards. Build documented here and Instagram @tesla_porsche here.