Toyota GT86 with Nissan Leaf Motor (Update 11/2022: 160Kw)

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
mfox

Re: Toyota GT86 with Nissan Leaf Motor

Post by mfox »

Great video ,
What is the weight of the car ?
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Philips project and openinverter.org have been featured in the German magazine "Auto Motor und Sport" 18/20.

Hope they don't mind a low res preview ;)
Attachments
gt86.jpg
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
JaniK

Post by JaniK »

Great to see projects featured in car magazines.

Is the smartphone app from Orion BMS?
Any opinions are my own, unless stated otherwise. I take no responsibility if you follow my way of doing things and it doesn't work. Please double check with someone who knows what they are doing.
Isaac96

Post by Isaac96 »

Looks like Torque to me.
JaniK

Post by JaniK »

Isaac96 wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:59 pm Looks like Torque to me.
Oh, didn't know torque had EV stuff too, nice. :)
Any opinions are my own, unless stated otherwise. I take no responsibility if you follow my way of doing things and it doesn't work. Please double check with someone who knows what they are doing.
Zapatero

Post by Zapatero »

I've been travelling for the last 2 Months so i haven't been online much. Now, as i'm back, i will continue my work on the '86. Still i have to integrate the Aircon and the SOC display via the original fuel gauge.

The greatest compliment made the german Magazine "Auto Motor Sport" about my build:

They're saying that i've built a car thet almost feels like it has been an EV from the facory. That makes me very proud.
The reporters of the Magazine spent a full day in my workshop and drove the car for half a day on their own.
Zapatero

Post by Zapatero »

JaniK wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:32 pm Great to see projects featured in car magazines.

Is the smartphone app from Orion BMS?
That codes come though the Canbus by the Orion BMS
JaniK

Post by JaniK »

Ok that solved it then :)
RetroZero

Post by RetroZero »

Zapatero wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 12:40 pm I've been travelling for the last 2 Months so i haven't been online much. Now, as i'm back, i will continue my work on the '86. Still i have to integrate the Aircon and the SOC display via the original fuel gauge.

The greatest compliment made the german Magazine "Auto Motor Sport" about my build.
They're saying that i've built a car thet almost feels like it has been an EV from the facory. That makes me very proud.
The reporters of the Magazine spent a full day in my workshop and drove the car for half a day on their own.
Congratulations! Well built EV conversion. Am taking lessons from your build. 😉
Henny

Post by Henny »

Awesome Conversion! I have wanted to do a conversion for a while for similar reasons. I just don't like the style of most modern day EVs. Thought of doing it do a GT86, did some research and came across your build. Would you still be willing to share the dxf files for CAD, as well as the Can bus codes for the the GT86. I have tried contacting Gerald multiple times but can not seem to get ahold of him.
Zapatero

Post by Zapatero »

There is an update regarding the GT86:
I was tired of the poor range so i decided to buy a 30kw/h battery from pro-lox.
My biggest issue was that i have uneven numbers of modules in 4 boxes so i need to seperate 4 of the 30kwh-Double-Modules.
Alltough i had these concerns i ordered the battery modules. They arrived today and i began taking one of them apart to see, if it is possible without damaging it.

The answer is: Yes, it is absolutely possible! With a lot of care and patience one can take these batteries apart. In the end you will have to fabricate a new housing. I already have plans for how to do that - maybe even use the 24kwh case.

Very well packaged!

Here's the 30Wk/h module which contains 8 cells instead of 4 like the 24kwh module:

I drilled the 4 rivets in the corners. You could just pull them open but i was scared of damaging the battery.

Then i gently heated up the metal covers so i could pry off the panel - this was actually very easy.

Now, here's the hard part: Sepearate the pouches without damaging them!

Therefore i used a wire, to cut carefully between the pouches. A Plastic spatula for some more force. And some sticker solvent to spray in between the pouches.

So now i have to seperate 3 more and build 4 new housings. Then i can install the 30Kwh Modules into my Car.
I hope this will give me a realistic range of around 150km.
Zapatero

Post by Zapatero »

I finally managed to get all the batteries back in the car. Again i was reminded by how smart it would have been to use a bigger car where you can put all the batteries in one place and where they are accessible from the top. But finally i've got them all in and all i have left to do is a few more BMS wires, which i sorted out a bit more than when i installed the 24KwH pack.

Here i made new custom housings for the 30KwH Single-Module-Modification:

That's the result:

New and old:

Wiring up the BMS again a bit more clean than before:
Bratitude

Post by Bratitude »

good info on splitting the pack modules.

With your pack upgrades, are you going to a higher pack voltage as well? Full pack voltage of 450v (giving enough room for voltage spikes without passing the igbt maxium) could push that much more power out of the inverter theoretically
https://bratindustries.net/ leaf motor couplers, adapter plates, custom drive train components
Zapatero

Post by Zapatero »

So i made some progress the last few days:

On my request Johannes updatet the calculation in the inverter for idcmax and idcmin. Those values are necessary to meaningful limit your power output according to the BMS requirements.

Now i finally could delete the now unnecessary code out of my ECU that limited battery depletion beyond a certain voltage.

Quote out of the Orion BMS manual: "When a motor controller receives the current limit from the BMS,
the motor controller knows that it cannot exceed the maximum current limit sent by the BMS even if the
operator of the throttle calls for more power. Because the BMS incorporates many factors into the
maximum current limit, ensuring the current does not exceed this calculated current limit also ensures
all the other associated battery parameters (such as minimum cell voltage, temperature, maximum C
rate, minimum state of charge, etc) are enforced."

It is now regarding:
- Temperature
- State of Charge
- Cell Resistance (based on each individual cell voltage)
- Pack resistance
- lowest / highest Cell Voltage
- Pack Voltage
- Other critical Faults

I'm very happy with this solution as now my new 30kWh battery pack is properly protected!
Zapatero

Post by Zapatero »

Recent changes:

- full Limit Control via properly calculated Ampere-Charge- and Discharge-Limits
- 30 kWh battery Pack
- Air conditioning, all i have left to do is connect the AC lines.
- 2 Battery Chargers in Parallel. Now i can slow charge at 6.6 kW. Planning on installing another charge socket for 2 phase charging ability in the near future.
- CHAdeMO Fast charging Socket and control box. Controlled by Orion BMS 2. Priximity is inverted in software - they told me appearently no one befor used the proximity detect feature! Had to fix the inverted byte in my own ECU.

I found a neat place to install my CHAdeMO box: Under the front bumper. It's still slightly behind the crash bar so won't be the first thing to smash in case of a crash. Also it's a very rubust metal box.
PXL_20210218_130152411.jpg
CHAdeMo Box.jpg
And here's my charging port. After thinking for weeks about where to install it, this was the best option. Still not very happy with it!
PXL_20210218_175704927.jpg
Zapatero

Post by Zapatero »

The Eltek Chargers i'm using arent water-cooled. One Charger at 3.3 Kw was fine, but due to space limitations i hat to put the second charger on top of the first. So i decided to air-cool them, in case they get too hot. Therefore i've had a fan shrout lasered out of aluminum, to put two powerful SPAL fans on it. They will be controlled by a thermostat or by CAN-Bus, haven't finally decided yet. The internal Charger-Temperature is on the CAN-Bus already. So it would be easy to turn the fans on if one of the chargers gets too hot.

PXL_20210218_175639225.jpg
PXL_20210218_145329415.MP.jpg
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

That's a tidy contactor box!
I think the CHAdeMO port needs some additional moisture and dirt protection. Otherwise if you drive through rain the EVSE could detect an isolation problem. Or worse, the contact area for high current is reduced by dirt or corrosion.
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
muehlpower

Post by muehlpower »

As i'm working on my air conditioning, i have a few questions.
The air conditioning compressor looks like an 18cc Benling compressor. How did you come up with this size, which refrigerant and oil do you use, and how do you know the filling quantities?

And last but not least, do you only cool the interior, or do you also cool the battery?
Zapatero

Post by Zapatero »

I use the standard filling quantities that Toyota suggests in their manual. The whole system is the same as before besides the compressor itself. I don't use R1234y as specified by the manufacturer. I used a propane/butane mix in the past in other systems with great success and will do the same here. It's cheap as hell and yes, of course it's flammable, but R1234y is dangerous, too. (of course i have to calculate the filling quantity according to the density difference of R1234y and my Propane/Butane mix).

I will have the system fully connected and running next week, then i can tell you more about cooling efficiency and so on.

It's only used to cool the interiour as we rarely have temperatures that actually really need a battery cooling.
I think battery heating would be more important here in Germany :)
Zapatero

Post by Zapatero »

johu wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:10 am I think the CHAdeMO port needs some additional moisture and dirt protection. Otherwise if you drive through rain the EVSE could detect an isolation problem. Or worse, the contact area for high current is reduced by dirt or corrosion.
I was thinking to get a 3D print that inserts into the socket and simulates a plug with a gasket around. in the middle there is a grip to pull it out. And it still should fit under the lid, of course. :D
Zapatero

Post by Zapatero »

Finally i managed to add rapid charging to my car. Now i can drive long distance - with the 30kWh Battery Pack and the CHAdeMO port this is going to be fun. Alltough my car is kinda inefficient. I use about 20 kWh / 100km. I think its mainly because of the ultra high performance tires. Will swap them for something more fuel efficient but still fun to drive and hope i get down to 16 tp 17 kWh / 100Km like Johannes in the Touran.
PXL_20210303_212832062.MP.jpg
PXL_20210303_212659487.MP.jpg
PXL_20210303_212623662.MP.jpg
Zapatero

Post by Zapatero »

I installed the heater, which was a real pain in the ass!
I had to take the whole dashboard out and the pedals also as the complete electric power steering and steering column.
In the pictures i already had the pedals and the steering column reinstalled, so it looks less worse than it actually was :lol:

Took me a whole day of 12 hours to complete the job. And still i have to wire it up.
It is connected to a microswitch that i mounted on the heater matrix actuator. It also can only turn on when the blower is on.
As it runs on 12V this is very important. I decided for 12V because of its simplicity. The heater is out of a Subaru forester and fits nicely with my self made glass fiber adaptor in the place where the heat exchanger has been before.

I only drive the car in the warmer month's of the year, so all i need is decent amount of heating to clear fog or very little ice of the windshield in the cold mornings. 1200Watts should be enough to do the job!
PXL_20210301_175449279.jpg
PXL_20210301_145454044.jpg
PXL_20210301_144631830.jpg
PXL_20210301_144622644.jpg
PXL_20210301_144609320.jpg
Zapatero

Post by Zapatero »

Here's my feedback to the ptc heating element: More than i expected! I just drove the car at 4 degrees celcius outside temperature, today was a bit of a snowy day. And still, there is a warm breeze blowing out of the vents. It's not like super hot, but satisfying warm. With the blower set to full power 1200W just aren't enough to blow warm air out of the vents. But if i set the blower to medium or less power it works very well. So yes, 12V heating is possible, but don't expect it to be exremely hot like with a combustion engine. The Tesla DC DC converter pulls more kWh out of my high voltage battery pack as soon as i turn it on. 100 amperes out of 12 volt are quite a bit so i decided to crimp it to a 35mm² cable that leads to a relay that is controlled by the OEM actuator and ignition 12V. The cables do not get warm, even after 30 minutes of having the PTC turned on.
PXL_20210304_170543912.jpg
Screenshot_20210304-210953.png
Screenshot_20210304-210946.png
Zapatero

Post by Zapatero »

Updates:

Airconditioning is now working! Nice!
HVAC Systems all functional and no extra switches are needed, everything is controlled by the OEM controls. I'm all about the OEM-Feeling!

My rev counter shows me the SoC when the Charge-Interlock-Bit is set. Nice feature, so you can literally watch your car fill up - and it just looks so cool! Works with j1772 and CHAdeMO.

// CAR IS CHARGING

if (BMS_Charge_Interlock) {
RPM_Charging = (((BMS_SoC/2)*100)-RPM);
RPM_2 = RPM + RPM_Charging;
}
else
{
RPM_2 = RPM;
}
// CAR IS CHARGING END
PXL_20210315_172936603.jpg

Today i did my first longer range trip in the car. 220 Km at a outside temperature of 3C° to 6C°.

Start: 100% SoC, 398V, 4.15V per cell / Batt Temp 12C°
Total Km: 115Km / 86Km Highway with max 120 Km/h / 29Km country roads with Max 100Km/h
Stop: 4% SoC, 337V, 3.52V per cell
Charged: 18,4 kWh in 30 Minutes

Start: 95,5% SoC, 384V, 4,00V per cell / Batt Temp 28C°
Total km : 65km / 65Km Highway with constant 130 Km/h
Stop: 16,5% SoC, 336V, 3,5V per cell
Charged: 18,6 kwH in 37 Minutes

Start: 94,5% SoC, 386V, 4,02V per cell/ / Batt Temp 46C°
Total km: 40Km / 25km Highway with constant 130 Km/h / 15 Km country road
Arrived at home - didn't recharge there so no information gathered. Temperature was still 46C°

Conclusions:
- When my temperature had risen above 35 degrees at the second charge temperature derating kicked in and it took longer to charge the car.
- I stuffed the thermistors far in the inner of the cell, which is pretty easy as they are not very big. On the leaf they are more on the surface. I have to change the position. If i measure the core cell temperature my charging curve gets's worse. Sure i could adjust it in the Orion BMS, but i think the utilisation of the OEM measurement point makes more sense here.

- When i charge on CHAdeMO my SoC rises faster than my battery cell voltage. This means it starts derating earlier than necessary.
Not sure yet where to adjust here to get a safe and proper but fast way of charging. Obviousely i'm missing about 3 kWh to 80%.

- Is my 4% Limit appropriate for the leaf cells? Are there any experience from your cars out there?

Stop 1
PXL_20210315_170842523.jpg
PXL_20210315_170851617.jpg
Stop 2
PXL_20210315_182302582.MP.jpg
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Nice trip and nice feature with the rev counter :) The fuel gauge also works during charging?

I don't quite understand the numbers. You said you have a usable 27 kWh but your charge from 4% to 95.5% was only 18.4 kWh. Doesn't add up. I think the reason is that 4.00V is not 95.5%. Maybe Orion miscalculates that from the voltage under load?

I don't have any systematic data on the temperature throttling but I do think the Leaf BMS throttles later. Above 40°C I'm quite sure. And it wants quite some heat to even allow full charging power. 30°C or so?