my name is Philip and i'm from Germany, Ulm. I had plans to convert a car to electric since more than five years now. Finally i found a way to adapt an electric motor into a CAN Bus car and make it work - the Leaf Inverter Board from Johannes. As i'm an car enthusiast i find that most electric cars that are affordable aren't exactly fun to drive. So i decided i want an electric RWD fun car that still has the capability of transporting my whole family: The Toyota GT 86.
I've done plenty of engine conversions in the past, but always worked with ICE. This will be my first electric conversion. Also i build four wheel campers:
I already purchased the Openinverter board with the Nissan Leaf adaptor. Also i have the full set of CAN Bus codes from https://www.geraldjustprojects.com/. Yesterday i designed the gearbox adaptor for the leaf motor in CAD.
I have the complete Engine of the Leaf and also the whole 24 KWh battery system.
Now i only need the car where im already in negotiations to get my handy on a GT 86 with severe engine failure.
I Still need the Coupler for the Motor, but i think i've found a solution that i can manufacture in my workshop as NewElectrics didn't reply to my emails about the Leaf Spline Adaptor.
Technical Update #25 January 2020:
- Motor Nissan Leaf 2014
- Estimated Power 140Kw, 400nm torque
- Connected to the OEM Gearbox by an custon made cupler and adaptor plate.
- 24 KWh Battery Pack with 48 modules and 96 cells out of the Leaf 2012
- Spread through the car in various places:
- Custom modified spare wheel well for 24 modules
- Custom made fuel tank boxes for 12 modules
- 2 Custom made boxes in front, one under the motor with 6 modules and one next to the motor with 6 modules
- If i like the result of the project i will invest in a 30KWh battery pack out of a newer leaf
Battery Management System:
- Orion BMS 2
- Everything is fully CAN-bus controlled
- Nissan Leaf Inverter with Johannes Huebner main board, fully CAN-bus controlled
- Arduino based replacement ECU for CAN-communication from Geraldjustprojects.com
- ELTEK Valere 3Kw Charger, fully CAN-bus controlled
[']Chademo-Charging will be available, Orion BMS does support it. Just have to implement it physically in the car, i already have the parts
- First GEN-Tesla Model S converter, just needs an +12 enable signal