[DRIVING] Porsche Boxster 986 Tesla conversion  [FINISHED]

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
arber333

Re: Porsche Boxster 986 Tesla conversion

Post by arber333 »

sfk wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:08 pm Nice work. I have the same vacuum and power steering pump units.
Are you saying the brake booster doesn't have enough volume itself to prevent the vacuum pump switching on and off excessively?
Or do you mean as soon as you touch the brakes and the booster vacuum drops a bit the electric pump comes on immediately?
I use very short lines for vacuum and i had a lot of chattering from pump. I had to change my non-return valve and put it closer to the pump. Now i only get the pump to turn on twice when it needs vacuum. If i brake servo uses vacuum in dual action. First to actuate the brakes when you press and next to serve the return of the bellows when you release pedal. This means pump turns on twice when you use the brakes. I got used to this in Mazda ann it doesnt bother me anymore.
tom91

Post by tom91 »

Boxster EV wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:33 pm
This testing was with around 160v and everything seemed smooth. I was reluctant to test further until I've bought and installed the charger.
Great progress, I would focus on getting the full pack in the car so you do not get the pack far out of balance.
Founder Volt Influx https://www.voltinflux.com/
Boxster EV

Post by Boxster EV »

A little update on the charger and DCDC modules.

I bought these items for just £350, but the charger was in a particularly bad state following a front end collision from the donor car. It took some work to repair and hopefully it'll work.

If anyone has a spare orange Delphi/Aptiv male AC input connection plug for the charger then please let me know. They seem to be NLA. I need this one (it has three inputs L1 - Ground - L2):

Porsche 986 powered by a Tesla large drive unit. Backwards. Build documented here and Instagram @tesla_porsche here.
Zapatero

Post by Zapatero »

Cool project, should be very powerful!
arber333

Post by arber333 »

Hi, good find.
I wouldnt bother with connectors though. You can make your own flanges from plastic and new cables.
I am interested in what happened to DCDC that you had to open it.

What is your solution for BMS?

You can see my blog for control of DCDC and charger.
https://leafdriveblog.wordpress.com/201 ... a-charger/
https://leafdriveblog.wordpress.com/201 ... dc-or-apu/
Boxster EV

Post by Boxster EV »

arber333 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:16 pm Hi, good find.
I wouldnt bother with connectors though. You can make your own flanges from plastic and new cables.
I am interested in what happened to DCDC that you had to open it.
Thanks - I'll replace the flanges/connectors as you suggest if I cant find another connector.

Regarding the DCDC, I just wanted to replace the HV wires to the correct length for my conversion and fit crimped eyelets. That's all.
arber333 wrote: What is your solution for BMS?

You can see my blog for control of DCDC and charger.
https://leafdriveblog.wordpress.com/201 ... a-charger/
https://leafdriveblog.wordpress.com/201 ... dc-or-apu/
Thanks. I'm going with SIMPBMS
Porsche 986 powered by a Tesla large drive unit. Backwards. Build documented here and Instagram @tesla_porsche here.
Boxster EV

Post by Boxster EV »

A few more updates:

Hacking out the fuel tank:

Batteries all wired in. I'm amazed that despite not receiving a charge in over a year and being used for EV testing, they still hold 350v.

image0.jpg
Boxster EV

Post by Boxster EV »

Jobs to do this week:

1) Finish off the LV wiring and test system at full HV.

2) Start wiring in BMS
Boxster EV

Post by Boxster EV »

Boxster EV

Post by Boxster EV »

A few pictures repairing and modifying charger and mounting it into the car:
3.jpg
Photo-0.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
Boxster EV

Post by Boxster EV »

bulletbug

Post by bulletbug »

Looking Great! In your contactor box, would you mind sharing the part numbers of both your 2 large contactors and the 1 smaller one used in precharge?

Also, what size are the 2 resistors?

Thanks
Boxster EV

Post by Boxster EV »

bulletbug wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:39 pm Looking Great! In your contactor box, would you mind sharing the part numbers of both your 2 large contactors and the 1 smaller one used in precharge?

Also, what size are the 2 resistors?

Thanks
All purchased through zero-ev.co.uk. They're available in their webshop. Not cheap but the quality seems excellent.
Boxster EV

Post by Boxster EV »

Small update: The layout and position of the batteries and HV junction box has been bothering me. With the existing design, there’s a huge amount of unused space in the mid-engine bay, frunk and boot and in reality some consolidation was needed. Last Friday evening I put the thinking cap on and quickly starting ripping out many weeks’ worth of work to review the design. I’m so pleased I did as the revised solution works so much better in space efficiency and technical terms. Here’s a summary:

• The bulky HV junction box is now mounted inside the mid-engine bay. It hovers above the drive unit on two 25mm aluminium box sections and is secured to the car’s frame rails. This is a major improvement electrically too. It means I don’t need to modify the Chevy Volt BMS harness at all, the battery HV cables are a fraction of the length making them safer, and the drive unit can connect directly to the HV box without extending its cables.

• The small and medium battery modules are now be mounted in the boot – they just about fit with the use of some custom brackets and rubber bases. In time this may change again as there is space for them to hang under the boot.

Presently I don’t have the inclination to do the fabrication work. It’s something I can come back to if it bothers me, but I doubt it will. It means the boot can now be used for two batteries and most electrical services including LV junction box, BMS junction box and LV bulkhead connectors that run to the front of the car for the charger integration and DCDC communications.

• The frunk is now completely empty and free for luggage once again – back to OEM. The charger will remain behind the front bumper and the DCDC in the fuel tank area – perfect locations for these items on the Porsche 986.

IMG_1111.JPG
arber333

Post by arber333 »

I see your DCDC mounting. Good use of space available. However if you read Volt manual this APM(DCDC) was considered IP51 protected, that is why they put it inside the cabin. I would advise you to make a screen in front of DCDC that would repel moisture.
Boxster EV

Post by Boxster EV »

arber333 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:58 pm I see your DCDC mounting. Good use of space available. However if you read Volt manual this APM(DCDC) was considered IP51 protected, that is why they put it inside the cabin. I would advise you to make a screen in front of DCDC that would repel moisture.

Thank you for the advice.

Hopefully it wont be a problem as all the under-trays still need to go back on the car and it's hidden behind the frunk bulkhead, and reasonably high up comparatively speaking. I've also fused it.

In all honesty I probably wont use the car too much during the wet.

Here's how it presently looks:
Photo-0.jpg
Isaac96

Post by Isaac96 »

Hi,
I've been following this conversion with interest as I have been working on a similar Boxster S for about 3 years now - had it running but then had battery issues and decided to rebuild the inverter with a Huebner system, as well as converting to liquid cooling. Almost back on the road.

I'm mounting all my batteries in the engine compartment along with a Siemens motor running with the transmission. I see that you have about half the Volt battery in the engine compartment. Are they just mounted straight to your motor support system?
Thanks!
-Isaac
Boxster EV

Post by Boxster EV »

Isaac96 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:43 pm Hi,
I've been following this conversion with interest as I have been working on a similar Boxster S for about 3 years now - had it running but then had battery issues and decided to rebuild the inverter with a Huebner system, as well as converting to liquid cooling. Almost back on the road.

I'm mounting all my batteries in the engine compartment along with a Siemens motor running with the transmission. I see that you have about half the Volt battery in the engine compartment. Are they just mounted straight to your motor support system?
Thanks!
-Isaac
The larger of the three banks sits across the frame system inside the engine bay. It rests on the original volt battery tray which has been cut to size and reinforced with some steel box sections welded on. It's then bolted onto the frame.

The weight of the Tesla drive unit and battery bank that the frame system is supporting is connected to the bolt holes of the original front engine mount (and rear mounts). The whole system is still less than 100kg lighter than what the same bolt holes were supporting with the OEM ICE.

It will be very tight to stack another bank of volt cells on top. It's doable but not without more fabrication and grief.

Hope this helps.

QGGL5959[1].JPG
NVWA0947[1].JPG
QZPM5526[1].JPG
NJBG4617[1].JPG
Isaac96

Post by Isaac96 »

Boxster EV wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:13 am

The larger of the three banks sits across the frame system inside the engine bay. It rests on the original volt battery tray which has been cut to size and reinforced with some steel box sections welded on. It's then bolted onto the frame.

The weight of the Tesla drive unit and battery bank that the frame system is supporting is connected to the bolt holes of the original front engine mount (and rear mounts). The whole system is still less than 100kg lighter than what the same bolt holes were supporting with the OEM ICE.

It will be very tight to stack another bank of volt cells on top. It's doable but not without more fabrication and grief.

Hope this helps.
Yes that is very helpful. As I've retained the original transmission I chose not to mount the batteries to the engine mount, instead I have a frame member under that area connected to the diagonal braces. Incidentally I was looking at your previous pictures; I seem to have a similar power steering pump. However I placed the vacuum booster in the frunk just to have a shorter run.
How are you cooling the LDU? Will you use the original radiators?

-Isaac
Boxster EV

Post by Boxster EV »

A couple of updates from the past month or so:

OEM automatic shifter installed (car was a manual):

Commisioned the charger and SIMPBMS:

Homemade EVSE control:

Boxster EV

Post by Boxster EV »

Bit of MOT prep:

Shakedown testing:

Boxster EV

Post by Boxster EV »

Additionally I've been testing drive unit parameters by using Jon and Damien's as starting point. Couple of questions for those that know:

1) Despite my best efforts I can't get my drive unit logic board to work on the latest firmware and have reverted back to 4.56 (which works fine). 4.79 uploads with no issue, but the inverter just hums at me and does nothing else. Anyone else have this issue?

2) I'm considering installing an HV contactor in-line with my Volt charger (it's already fused) which is connected directly to the battery. This is because the charger is at the front of the car behind the bumper and in the event of a fender bender there will be no danger of the HV shorting out. The idea is that it'll close upon activation of my charger and open when not in use. Can anyone see any reason why this isnt a good idea? Any concerns over current rush etc....?
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Boxster EV wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:27 pm Can anyone see any reason why this isnt a good idea? Any concerns over current rush etc....?
I'd connect the charger direct to the battery and use a collision sensor to cut 12V power to the contactors. If you follow what the OEM's do you can't go far wrong :)
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
Boxster EV

Post by Boxster EV »

Kevin Sharpe wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:47 pm
Boxster EV wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:27 pm Can anyone see any reason why this isnt a good idea? Any concerns over current rush etc....?
I'd connect the charger direct to the battery and use a collision sensor to cut 12V power to the contactors. If you follow what the OEM's do you can't go far wrong :)
Do you have a link to one of these sensors, please? Ideally something that can be used in a EV conversion scenario / by a DIY'er.
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Boxster EV wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:21 am Do you have a link to one of these sensors, please? Ideally something that can be used in a EV conversion scenario / by a DIY'er.
We've used the AC Delco D1876D Inertia Switch in the past, they are often used as fuel cut-off switches on OEM vehicles;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Pump-Cuto ... 3713650226

We usually wire them in series with the emergency cut-off switch which kills 12V to the contactors, inverter, etc.
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.