So I'm a total newb here but I've been interested in getting my E30 ('87 316) converted for many years. I've finally come to the conclusion that to afford it I'll have to do it myself.
My limited abilities:
- I'm a qualified Electronic Engineer, but haven't been working in this field for a long time.
- I've previously torn the car down for a respray and rebuilt it after, I've replaced a lot of the running gear. etc., repaired instrument cluster, etc. etc.
- I have experience developing on Raspberry Pi (not arduino but close enough!)
- I build PCs, repair laptops and iMacs, etc. as a hobby.
- I have a basic tools but no fabrication or welding tools (yet).
- I currently have no garage but intend to have one in the coming 6-12 months (I'm hoping to build the gear on a test bench before putting into the car). I'd love a fitted out garage like Fiachra!
I'm looking for advice on how to start off. My ~€10k budget I don't think will be compatible with Tesla motors, etc. so I'm looking for advice on what kind of parts I should be looking for (use existing drivetrain vs remove for example) and specifically if anyone has parts in Ireland they'd be willing to sell me. I'm looking to start buying parts monthly as cashflow allows.
My intention is to use this as a first pass, proof of concept so that I can learn as I go and then possibly upgrade various parts in the future and recycle the parts onto other projects after. The end goal will be to build up to converting my Dads Jag XK8.
Any help, advice, ridicule and any available parts all greatly appreciated!