C-Zero 2CV van

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
thornogson

C-Zero 2CV van

Post by thornogson »

And another project...
When I started out on the EV quest , it was with a mind to fit a 2cv van with a Toyota MGR which seemed like a good Idea , so bought a cheap (that word again!) Lexus MGR from Eastern europe . very quickly it became apparent there was a problem, the 2cv has inboard brakes fitted to the transaxle housing , and the MGR doesnt ...mmmm MGR is now a bench test pig but a cheap Citroen C-Zero (IMiev/Peugeot ion Meiden motor) that looked like it had been used as a boat anchor cleaned up great and spins smoothly on a 48v e-bike controller so a couple of hours turning a coupling from a 2cv clutch disc and a slab of 15mm Ali for the adapter plate and off we go !
2cv-Zero.jpg
We are all ignorant, just about different things. If y'aint learnin', y'aint livin'
FairAir

Re: C-Zero 2CV van

Post by FairAir »

Hi, we are working on a 2CV conversion to alkaline fuel cells but are at the beginning of the project. we purchased a Meiden s61 motor from ebay (which I believe came out of a Mitsubishi) and are looking at how to control it. Have you installed a controller for this yet?
PANGALEX

Post by PANGALEX »

Hi, Your motor works thanks 48v e-bike controller ? How it's possible can you explain to me ?
thornogson

Post by thornogson »

PANGALEX wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 1:29 pm Hi, Your motor works thanks 48v e-bike controller ? How it's possible can you explain to me ?
Sorry , been away for family reasons . Hi , any motor with little enough resistance will respond to a simple sine wave like a e-bike controller . i use this to check that the internal wiring of the motor is good . it doesn't do much or respond to torque demands. I have a Yaris inverter with a Huebner/Mcguire brain I'm setting up to ru this in the car.
We are all ignorant, just about different things. If y'aint learnin', y'aint livin'
thornogson

Post by thornogson »

Finally got some time on the 2cv , having realised the motor was fitted to a GS disc gearbox that wouldn't fit the 2cv easily,I remade a splined adapter from a 2cv clutch , put in all new floors, and bought and fitted a disc brake gearbox . Still working on the OI brain in a yaris inverter
9804C398-E1E1-474E-8D45-952C5E823641.jpeg
engine bay and front suspension all cleaned up ready for the new motor/gearbox
8D13B0AD-DAB7-4319-9CA6-B22F8732A2E0.jpeg
Made up a mandrel (left) to keep the imiev (big) splines and 2cv clutch centre (Smaller) dead straight whilst welding
71089D37-1911-41BD-86BF-EFF2D458B4EF.jpeg
2cv gearbox fits straight on to GS drilled plate on the Meiden motor
BD71BC37-1A09-4C73-B8AE-8BD1F2830DF5.jpeg
New floors / bulkhead progress .....
Markos

Post by Markos »

This guy is using a complete i-Miev drivetrain for his BMW 318i: https://318iev.blogspot.com/
I don't know if there is a lot of useful information for you because he uses the complete drivetrain, but maybe you can find something you can use. Check the bar on the right side for all his posts.
thornogson

Post by thornogson »

Markos wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:23 pm This guy is using a complete i-Miev drivetrain for his BMW 318i: https://318iev.blogspot.com/
I don't know if there is a lot of useful information for you because he uses the complete drivetrain, but maybe you can find something you can use. Check the bar on the right side for all his posts.
@ Markos ,Thanks for the link, I think he's going the CAN route with matching inverter and the whole rest of the car, I'm starting with a bare motor, I did manage to get it jumping about on the bench yesterday with my Auris + V1c inverter +75v in open loop but it's obviously not happy, just looking for why it's not spinning freely, it has turned ok on a sensorless bike controller @ 36 v . More thinking ......
Attachments
miev resolver.jpg
thornogson

Post by thornogson »

Good news : secured a Smart Fortwo battery from someone else’s project , Bad news :there’s only 6v in the whole thing but may be able to revive most cells
26231BB5-EDDA-4C70-95EA-017D48B028D1.jpeg
thornogson

Post by thornogson »

So , Happy new year everyone !

Having declared getting this 2cv to run this year as a new years resolution I have spent a little time nudging the project forward .

The Smart pack has now been torn down and yielded about 40 useable cells , giving me about 160 v but as the miev moptor will work way above this I'm considering either adding useable bits of another Smart pack to give me 144v each side where the fuel tank and spare wheel used to be or tearing down a cheap 2019 Outlander pack and hiding modules around the place... mmmm

I also managed a couple of hours trial fitting the motor and 2cv gearbox
2cv1.jpg
marcexec

Post by marcexec »

Lovely project. The 2CV is timeless :)
Is it just me or is the 2CV transmission tiny compared to the (not so massive) Meiden motor?
I mean it's around 25cm x 35cm, right?
A motorcyclist is never late, Frodo Baggins. Nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.
Getting started guide for Celeron55's iPDM56
My Suzuki RF400 build @ES
Honda IMA & Lebowski howto
thornogson

Post by thornogson »

Yes , I love 2cvs and have owned 15+ of them!, I bought this van with a seized engine and decided it was the perfect runaround at my shed which I have just taken off-grid . this whole setup with 15kwh of batteries should make a nice little machine and charge from the sun in summer. It will have about 2x the power a 2CV petrol engine produces :)