'69 Morris Minor conversion

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
pyoorkate

'69 Morris Minor conversion

Post by pyoorkate »

Hi folks,

I'm just embarking on my second try at converting a Morris Minor. My first try kinda ran out of steam when she needed extensive bodywork - that's now done :)

In terms of transmission I have a Ford English diff. I believe it's a 3.54 ratio -- although it was replaced by a reconditioning place that put the wrong flange on so I'm not going to swear to that! That's currently mated to a Ford Type 9 5 speed gearbox.

In the medium term I'd like to add CCS DC rapid charging.

I'd love thoughts on these two options:

GS450H transmission + Prius inverter - pros - price, potentially frees up space in the engine bay for batteries, massively overly powerful for the car. Cons: need custom prop shaft, not sure how well it will fit in the space currently occupied by the existing box, will probably need a mount made up for the engine bay to spread the weight from the transmission. Prius inverter isn't small.

Zero Motorcycle motor, Prius C inverter existing Ford Type 9 gearbox. - pros -
Transmission stays mainly intact. Small, lightweight motor. Prius C inverter is smaller(?). Could feasibly use zero batteries (although would need multiple packs). Cons - power output is not enormous, maxes out at around 100v, I think, I can't see anyone else who's done anything with the zero motors.

Thoughts?
johu
Site Admin

Re: '69 Morris Minor conversion

Post by johu »

You can run a "100V" motor on higher voltage, I'm thinking 200V should still work until low inductance becomes an issue. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
mike77cos

Post by mike77cos »

The GS450h transmission is massive compared to a type 9, think huge. I don't want to put you off, but it would have to sit in the engine bay almost to make it fit I'd think.
celeron55

Post by celeron55 »

That's like a 10x size, weight and power difference between the GS450H and the Zero.

If you just want an around town vehicle, I think the Zero will be enough. If you want to go fast, then find something slightly bigger.
pyoorkate

Post by pyoorkate »

The size of the GS450h has definitely been my biggest concern (and the price the most appealing thing). Not having one nearby, and just looking at the measurements it wasn't clear to me whether it would fit through the bulkhead. The sizes in the wiki suggest it's about 10cm longer, but much larger, diameter wise, for more of its length. I assumed I'd need to make up a new cover plate for the passenger compartment, but wasn't (and amn't) clear how much impact that would have on in-cabin foot space

So size definitely is a worry and it really feels like overkill in terms of power.

The current engine probably puts out in the order of 60-70hp, (1300a+ with fast road cam and Hif44 carb). Which is definitely adequately quick... And that does tempt me towards something like the Zero motor, which seems to be rated at 67hp and 144Nm torque, which seems pretty comparible.

Also tempting is the simplicity of this being my first conversion and that being a dinky little motor which I can probably fit without getting too overwhelmed. And can move by myselfi in the garage without an engine lift.

I've had other suggestions (BMW 330e, RX450h, Leaf). A (brief) look at local availablity and pricing makes me think the Leaf would definitely be the most affordable option of those, the 330e hybrid transmissions around me seem to be over $1k.

Hrm, more to think about.

That said, there's a very bent zero for sale and I'm quite tempted to throw a little bid on it and let the universe decide ;)
bobby_come_lately

Post by bobby_come_lately »

Ease of conversion sounds very good!

I'm working with one of the outlander motors at the moment. These are unproven in conversions as yet so I'm hesitant to recommend one too firmly yet. But they are relatively compact, not absurdly heavy, quite cheap and a good power match (60-70kw) for your Moggie.
pyoorkate

Post by pyoorkate »

Okay, so I'm still debating options - but had a chance to chat with someone who knows the Zero motor I've seen for sale pretty well.

He said that the motor is designed for low voltage and has very low resistance and inductance so the current ramps up very quickly. He was worried that at higher voltages I'd need a really fast PWM and control algorithms to keep it under control.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Prius C inverter in that light?

Thanks!
pyoorkate

Post by pyoorkate »

After much futzing and staring at motor specs and shipping prices I've ended up going with a Mitsubishi iMiEV motor (funny, because I used to own one) (47kW / 180Nm / Max 8500rpm / @330v in original vehicle). I'm currently planning to mate that with a Prius C / Yaris inverter...

The Mitsu motor is on the way; the Yaris inverter I've yet to spring for (but there's loads on e-bay so I'm not so concerned about that). I'm currently drywalling and insulating the garage so I can work in there in the winter :)
Shaf1926

Post by Shaf1926 »

Interested in your thread.
I have a morris minor traveller I am going to convert. I originally bought a mitsubishi Outlander rear axle and inverter. I believe this is pretty much the same motor as the iMev. The minor only had about 30 kW originally, so the Mitsubishi motor should easily be able to match that.
I paid about £400 for the motor and inverter.
The main issues are mating the motor to the transmission. Do you use a flywheel and clutch, or not? Mounting plates and bearings tend to be pretty expensive to buy or make. Second issue is controlling the Mitsubishi motor. I haven't seen anything on any forums from people who've got there yet.
I then saw Damien's videos about the GS450H.
I ended up picking up an IS300H transmission and inverter for about £400. So am looking to use that instead as it seems simpler and once ive learned it will be way easier to do the same on other vehicles.

I have taken a few rough measurements of the box if it's any use to you. There is a thread for the L210 gearbox which probably has much more info in it. I will also look at whether removing the MG2 motor and bell housing is feasible. If so running with just one motor should be sufficient for lower power applications and take up much less space.