BMW E61 2006 LDU-sport Model 3 battery

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
Ruudi S

Re: BMW E61 2006 LDU-sport Model 3 battery

Post by Ruudi S »

Excellent work! What will you fit to the engine bay? Will there be a front trunk? Do you know other swedish builder who was building tesla vito?
fredd90

Post by fredd90 »

Ruudi S wrote: ↑Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:15 pm Excellent work! What will you fit to the engine bay? Will there be a front trunk? Do you know other swedish builder who was building tesla vito?
Thank you😁

In the engine bay there will be: 12v attery, 3x circ-pump, ac unit, compressor to airsuspension, hydraulic motor to steering and some vent-ducts.

I want to use bmw f1x EPS(electric power Steering) But I don't know if I can solve it, so at first i should use 12v power Steering pump from minicooper and original steering rackπŸ‘

I've seen that build, really niceπŸ‘πŸ˜
fredd90

Post by fredd90 »

Now its time for a small update.

Front subframe is now firmly mounted to the chassie and battery,

My plan is to use the two standard hvdc connectors on the tesla m3 battery(650Ax2), unfortunally there was aluminium cable,
So off to the dealer and got aluminium to copper pressconnectors. 2 tesla m3 connectors paralell to LDU

Finally ive got all the bearing and sealings, from my local SKF agent, in the weekend there will be time to put together the engine/gearbox.

Also got new brake calipers, still waiting for new front disks, old e61 is a bit small :lol:

Everything going acording to plan exept the rear shock absorbers, i have planned to use these from "Air lift performance":

Unfortunaly the were not capable to handle the weight.... and the larger damper will be hard to fit....they are 7inch/17cm wide,
My plan was to use original level control, not a big fan of coilovers due to the extreme stiffness.

Things that are on the agenda: sketch cooling systems, pull pipes for cooling and brakes, assemble the engine.

// Thanks for now
sheselectric

Post by sheselectric »

fredd90 wrote: ↑Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:32 am
Ruudi S wrote: ↑Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:15 pm Excellent work! What will you fit to the engine bay? Will there be a front trunk? Do you know other swedish builder who was building tesla vito?
Thank you😁

In the engine bay there will be: 12v attery, 3x circ-pump, ac unit, compressor to airsuspension, hydraulic motor to steering and some vent-ducts.

I want to use bmw f1x EPS(electric power Steering) But I don't know if I can solve it, so at first i should use 12v power Steering pump from minicooper and original steering rackπŸ‘

Hi Fredd,

Excellent build, impressive workπŸ‘. Did you get the mini cooper power steering pump fitted? I'm considering this for my E60 build. I'm curious about the wiring, does it require the mini pump control module?
I've been planning to use an Opel Zafira power steering pump but they can be loud so wondering if the Mini pump will be quieter.
fredd90

Post by fredd90 »

sheselectric wrote: ↑Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:20 pm
fredd90 wrote: ↑Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:32 am
Thank you😁

Hi Fredd,

Excellent build, impressive workπŸ‘. Did you get the mini cooper power steering pump fitted? I'm considering this for my E60 build. I'm curious about the wiring, does it require the mini pump control module?
I've been planning to use an Opel Zafira power steering pump but they can be loud so wondering if the Mini pump will be quieter.
Thank you =)

I have not fitted it yet, maybe 1-2month away... I am planning to use the original e61 steering rack(for now)
But it has gone 29k so it's maybe worn out, if there is any internal leak the hydraulic pump won't stop.
So to get power efficiency I maybe need to replace or overhaul the rack.

I bought my pump unit newly refurbished from Poland,
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ELECTRIC-POWER ... 2749.l2649
Their instructions :

GROUND (-) - a 5,5mm wire with a BLACK tip end of 8mm
POWER (+) - a 5,5mm wire with a RED tip end of 8mm
POWER (ignition on) (+) - a 1,5mm wire with a BLACK tip end of 6mm (to ignition)
POWER (auxiliary) (pump active)(+) - a 1,5mm wire with a GREEN tip end of 6mm (to button)

/Best regards Fredrik
Bratitude

Post by Bratitude »

If your not a fan of the classic β€œcoilovers” why not just get some coilover shocks from fox,king, or foa? You just pick your spring rates, valving and stroke!
https://bratindustries.net/ leaf motor couplers, adapter plates, custom drive train components
fredd90

Post by fredd90 »

Bratitude wrote: ↑Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:08 pm If your not a fan of the classic β€œcoilovers” why not just get some coilover shocks from fox,king, or foa? You just pick your spring rates, valving and stroke!
It is actually a good idea that I may be considering choosing, Today I have talked to an e-supplier of coilovers where you can choose properties completely as needed. D2 coilover,
They will get i touch tomorrow about the price/setup.
Have left some info: Valves, cornerweight, stroke ,angle of struts and a little what I should have the car for.

Perhaps a smoother solution for suspension, instead of reinventing the wheel ;)
fredd90

Post by fredd90 »

The major rebuild is now officially approved by an inspection committee and the finalization of the vehicle can begin.
Time to start working with high voltage cables. AL-CU press fittings purchased, successfully joined in the hvdc junction box, not quite ready when it comes to touch protection and insulation standoff.

Unfortunately, what must not happen happened, a part of the inverter broke down, the inverter / motor has been tested with 50v dc via lithium battery with bms, probably it has caused damage in some of the igbt. Which then turned out with full voltage ... Motor stripped down and new inverter piece on its way. Thanks to Paul @ Boxter EV for the quick solution, The old one got a Teardown viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1625&p=27230#p27230

The interior is starting to come into place and the controls are ready. Gear selector installed and 3 LED indicators are in place. These three are controlled via canbus from the LDU, to receive confirmation that the control card has received command.

jon volk

Post by jon volk »

Holy crap. That is by far the worst inverter damage I’ve seen on an LDU.
Formerly 92 E30 BMW Cabrio with Tesla power
paaa

Post by paaa »

Don't know how I missed this project. This is outstanding work! It is what I hoped to do with my Subaru but thought removing the floor pan might be a bit much for my first conversion. Following with great interest.
Boxster EV

Post by Boxster EV »

This project is phenomenal. Given me loads of ideas for the next build. πŸ‘
Porsche 986 powered by a Tesla large drive unit. Backwards. Build documented here and Instagram @tesla_porsche here.
Evkiwi

Post by Evkiwi »

Are you still working on this Frederick? I see your still active on the forum.
It's an amazing project to follow by the way, πŸ˜€
barracuda816

Post by barracuda816 »

Sounds like a great build. Not sure if its just me but I can't see any pictures though.
crasbe

Post by crasbe »

barracuda816 wrote: ↑Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:01 pm Not sure if its just me but I can't see any pictures though.
Well that's the reason why it's not a good idea to use external image hosters. At somepoint all of them delete images and then the forums are just plastered with dead links :(