BMW E61 2006 LDU-sport Model 3 battery

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
fredd90

BMW E61 2006 LDU-sport Model 3 battery

Post by fredd90 »

Hello :) My first post in this forum, after many hours of interesting reading :)

Just started a new Instagram account: https://www.instagram.com/p/CJfB11vBamG ... auekto8359

I have a rather large project in the coming.

My BMW 523i E61 is going to have a new Power plant and battery, the car should become a sleeper.

Tesla brakes, but the cars interior and instrument should stay original, My Maxecu sport controller has full control over e6x canbus. My thought is to use original buttons and rpm/fuel/gpm meter and replace vinyl with new scale. :D

Next weekend the drive-line of the e61 will be removed.

At first i will add some photos to summarize the thread :D

This is the donor car, bmw 523i with bad engine, zero comp on 3/6 pistons

This is the Tesla model 3 battery, Longrange 75kwh approx mileage 1000km
This unit is going to be placed under te floor,

I am very curious about the release of the control unit for Tesla model 3 pcm and bms :D :D

Keeps my fingers crossed that they will soon be for sale

This i the Tesla LDU sport, Newly cleaned

Disassembly of inverter and replace pcb,

Simple testing bench build, Works very good, i use the original cabling, change encoder cable pins.

At first test i heard a light "vining" noise, Probably some bad bearing i suppose, time to tear apart.

All gears look fine, the bearing at rotor was fine but at first axle the bearings was very bad,
They have tried to use standard steel bearing, not a very great result unfortunately, eaten by currents.

The new bearings will be hybrid, aka ceramic balls.

The rest of the bearings in gearbox is fine but it is simple to replace so i change them all.

Problem was to find internal seals, after 1 month of research i luckily found it at an Chinese Tesla supplier

This is the new controller that should make my life easier, Maxecu Sport, Canbus ready.

This is just the first sample, may soon be edited,
muehlpower

Re: BMW E61 2006 LDU-sport Model 3 battery

Post by muehlpower »

That will be a big challenge, especially accommodating the model 3 battery will not be easy.

I solved the problem with the seal with an adapter ring to use a standard shaft seal.

What does the surface for the teflon ring on your motor look like? I think you bought the sealing ring for the coolant from the same Chinese. Do you have any plans to use a sleeve?
Attachments
20201017_121749.png
20201031_183709.png
fredd90

Post by fredd90 »

Yes there Will be some cutting :evil:

The coolant pipe to the rotor Will have The same sealing as original(just hope it Will fit). Small sign of leak som very satisfied that i made a full teardown

The new hybrid Bearing to the first axle is sealed, and inside there against the motor there is very special sealing, the mesures is no where standard... My idea is to fabricate än adapter ring like you Did so i can use some standard piece of the shelf :D

Inside the first Bearing there is an oilflow, i need to plug that line because my new Bearing wont need any external lubrication, i have seen that some have remove the sealing just to let the oilflow cool the Bearing, skf Did not recomend that, dirt Will find its way in there.

Have you find any new carbon ring to minimize the risk of induction current, i have removed the old one intact and cleaned it from all the oil, old sealing was doomed...
muehlpower

Post by muehlpower »

For the cooling water I will use a sleeve from SKF to repair the shaft. There could be a solution here https://www.maier-onlineshop.de/produkt ... ungsringe/ for grounding the rotor.
EV_Builder

Post by EV_Builder »

Interesting please keep posting!
Especially how you plan to connect and use the M3 battery.
Converting an Porsche Panamera
see http://www.wdrautomatisering.nl for bespoke BMS modules.
mfox

Post by mfox »

Nice and interesting project :)
fredd90

Post by fredd90 »

muehlpower wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:46 am For the cooling water I will use a sleeve from SKF to repair the shaft. There could be a solution here https://www.maier-onlineshop.de/produkt ... ungsringe/ for grounding the rotor.
Thats i nice solution from SKF, but i wont bee needing that for now,

I think i have cleaned the original grounding ring to its former glory, and besides that i now have the 1st driveaxle and rotor fitted with ceramic ballbearings :)

EV_Builder wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:23 am Interesting please keep posting!
Especially how you plan to connect and use the M3 battery.
My idea is to keep the battery as intact as possible, keeping all the contactors and sensors.

The Hvdc bms controller board will be replaced, and the main contactors will be controlled from the motor inverter board.

To control the PCS i will wait for the complete box from evbmw. :D

mfox wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:37 am Nice and interesting project :)
Thanks :D I will write as soon as there is something useful to write about.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now Todays update is all about the rear subframe

The first thing i need to do is to make some new mounting pads.

Mounting pads installed in subframe bushings and first test after some cutting sessions ;)

The mounting pads welded thoroughly to the old mounts and "boxed" to get it extra stiff.

Tested with some 19" rims, looking very good, i am satisfied :D

Next project is to mount the engine in subframe and weld up the rear floor, Now it looks like some "Flintstone" :lol:

The problem now is to find some shock absorbers that will fit, maybe some aftermaket air suspension so i can use the original automatic level control.
mfox

Post by mfox »

Waoo , nice progress, :))
we are not allowed to cut and weld the chassis for technical inspection , but now when I'm done with that , I can do anything I want :)
Only money is limit :)
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

I used Gaz 2.25" coilovers on the E31.
I'm going to need a hacksaw
fredd90

Post by fredd90 »

mfox wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:22 am Waoo , nice progress, :))
we are not allowed to cut and weld the chassis for technical inspection , but now when I'm done with that , I can do anything I want :)
Only money is limit :)
Thank you =)
My plan is to do a new fresh registration, with "sfro".
Sfro is an organisation that control and guides new builds and with their help I can get it through car testing.
Jack Bauer wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:31 pm I used Gaz 2.25" coilovers on the E31.
Thats probably similar to the ones I have looked for, bc racing coilover, how does it work with coilover, does it get very stiff?

Small update:

Engine in place👍👌

New box built around the engine:

The whole floor is removed to make room for the battery.

New profiles in place, mounted with weldbolts.

M10 bolts purchased, extra strong:

This weekend i will mount the battery if everything follows as planned

Made a new Instagram account, more frequently update:https://www.instagram.com/p/CJfB11vBamG ... auekto8359
DrGee

Post by DrGee »

So eager to see how the battery pack fits under the floor! I'm planning to convert a Mercedes W220 with a similar setup. I'm just concerned about ground clearance with the model 3 pack under the floor.
celeron55

Post by celeron55 »

That's impressive. Which country allows a modification like this? Around here this would be considered basically making a new car and you'd have to either get special permission (you won't unless you're the military or something) or go through all the hoops that car manufacturers do with crash testing and all.
New Electric Ireland

Post by New Electric Ireland »

celeron55 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:49 pm Which country allows a modification like this? Around here this would be considered basically making a new car and you'd have to either get special permission (you won't unless you're the military or something) or go through all the hoops that car manufacturers do with crash testing and all.
Similar constraints in Ireland, The Netherlands, and UK.
In Ireland we undertake training & open source RND for the New Electric group, 5 companies converting boats, buses, cars and trucks to electric drive since 2008.
fredd90

Post by fredd90 »

DrGee wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:40 pm So eager to see how the battery pack fits under the floor! I'm planning to convert a Mercedes W220 with a similar setup. I'm just concerned about ground clearance with the model 3 pack under the floor.
The ground clearance will be the same as before the conversion of the car, the floor is raised about 3cm in the coupe. I think It won't be noticeable. 👍
celeron55 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:49 pm That's impressive. Which country allows a modification like this? Around here this would be considered basically making a new car and you'd have to either get special permission (you won't unless you're the military or something) or go through all the hoops that car manufacturers do with crash testing and all.
In sweden we have an organisation that will help with the build, its called Sfro, I have bought their handbook with guidelines and information on how to proceed the build.
New Electric Ireland wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:11 pm
celeron55 wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:49 pm Which country allows a modification like this? Around here this would be considered basically making a new car and you'd have to either get special permission (you won't unless you're the military or something) or go through all the hoops that car manufacturers do with crash testing and all.
Yes that's sad to hear, the only drawback with "amateur built car" is that it will never be able to export.

Enough of the talking, here is some pictures of the weekend: Battery in place and bolted with all bolts :D

The car feels wery rigid with low center of gravity

Boxster EV

Post by Boxster EV »

Hats off to you. That’s seriously impressive.

Subscribed
Porsche 986 powered by a Tesla large drive unit. Backwards. Build documented here and Instagram @tesla_porsche here.
EV_Builder

Post by EV_Builder »

Regarding The Netherlands you will loose the type certification and will need to apply for complete new certification for one vehicle.
(Single Vehicle Approval). This means that there are no crash tests but it does mean all the rest.

It's doable but expensive and time consuming, saying that if the vehicle is already type approved your biggest problem will be proof of the strength of the structure (i think).

Basically in The Netherlands you are allowed to change 1/3 (either the engine, chassis or the body) in order to maintain the 'identity' of the vehicle.
The approval will be granted if the modification, and touching regulations, are found tobe compliant.
EV_Builder

Post by EV_Builder »

Yes that's sad to hear, the only drawback with "amateur built car" is that it will never be able to export.
Are you sure? Sweden is an EU country i think they cant deny it if you wish todo so.
(EU rule nr 1: Freedom of movement of people and goods)...

What certain is true is that other countries are not obliged to accept the vehicle. That means that since the vehicle has a single vehicle type approval its not mandatory for other countries to allow inscription into their national registration database. (in short you won't be able to get a plate for the car). There has been quite some EU correspondence over this subject.
mfox

Post by mfox »

Wow men , I'm impressed with this work
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

at that build quality who is even going to notice you cut the floor out :) Hats off.
Where are you at in Sweden?
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
arber333

Post by arber333 »

johu wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:24 pm at that build quality who is even going to notice you cut the floor out :) Hats off.
Well i saw at TUV Sud they immediately observed i cut the trunk out and welded a box in the back. First question was if i also cut any structural elements. I asked them what they mean by that since the cars today are semi monocoque anyway. But he just said if i cut any tubular consoles. I actually only put box between both main tubes in the car and i stated this in the report. So i was OK.

Also when installing the front box under bonnet i would recommend to use only bolted members. No welding since you can easily make front part stronger that way and it will behave differently in a colision. Which can be a hazard...
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

The E31 required significant modification for fitting the Tesla LDU including fitting an E34 rear suspension system and complete custom subframe. A lot of cutting and welding was required. This was done with and under the supervision of a very talented and experienced automotive engineer. Once complete it was inspected and signed off by a certified automotive engineer , passed its annual inspection every year since and is fully declared to all relevant authorities. Once done properly vehicle modifications be they for ev conversion or otherwise are perfectly legitimate.
I'm going to need a hacksaw
Cookie6000

Post by Cookie6000 »

Incredible work. Well done fredd, especially endeavouring to make use of the long-form M3 battery layout. No mean feat. Just to add to the comments above, same goes for mine on the rules on what rules to follow in Ireland. I had the automotive engineer look at my build on the 'return leg' of the Audi, once I had everything ICE out and the basics of the motor mounts and a clear idea of what I wanted and what to go where. He echoed what has been mentioned before, once the structural integrity of the main chassis rails were maintained, I can cut to make room within reason. In my case, it was just the spare wheel well to fit the rear battery box. On my second attempt, I would take this another leap forward for a cleaner build, now I have a good idea of the rules.

On the other concerns raised here, it is one thing that has been in the back of my mind with the details and content I have put up and if anyone was to take them as a 'how-to' guide and then blow their garage up... would it come back to bite me in the arse? Anyway... it is a conversation for another thread! Well done again.
Home of the #Audi8e - https://twitter.com/FiachraCooke
fredd90

Post by fredd90 »

Boxster EV wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:25 pm Hats off to you. That’s seriously impressive.

Subscribed
Thanks =)
EV_Builder wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:20 pm
Regarding The Netherlands you will loose the type certification and will need to apply for complete new certification for one vehicle.
(Single Vehicle Approval). This means that there are no crash tests but it does mean all the rest.

It's doable but expensive and time consuming, saying that if the vehicle is already type approved your biggest problem will be proof of the strength of the structure (i think).

Basically in The Netherlands you are allowed to change 1/3 (either the engine, chassis or the body) in order to maintain the 'identity' of the vehicle.
The approval will be granted if the modification, and touching regulations, are found tobe compliant.
My plan is to make the car, Amateur built car. Thats possible with SFRO. Still long way to go yet.....
EV_Builder wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:49 pm
Are you sure? Sweden is an EU country i think they cant deny it if you wish todo so.
(EU rule nr 1: Freedom of movement of people and goods)...

What certain is true is that other countries are not obliged to accept the vehicle. That means that since the vehicle has a single vehicle type approval its not mandatory for other countries to allow inscription into their national registration database. (in short you won't be able to get a plate for the car). There has been quite some EU correspondence over this subject.
Yes i will be able to export the car/build but it will not be possible to register outside Sweden for the new owner....
mfox wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:47 pm Wow men , I'm impressed with this work
Thanks a lot =)
johu wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:24 pm at that build quality who is even going to notice you cut the floor out :) Hats off.
Thank you =)
The plan is to get the car registered, so it is very important to get the construction right, i cant barely paint it before first inspection....
I live in Jönköping, between Malmö and Stockholm,
arber333 wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:47 pm
Well i saw at TUV Sud they immediately observed i cut the trunk out and welded a box in the back. First question was if i also cut any structural elements. I asked them what they mean by that since the cars today are semi monocoque anyway. But he just said if i cut any tubular consoles. I actually only put box between both main tubes in the car and i stated this in the report. So i was OK.

Also when installing the front box under bonnet i would recommend to use only bolted members. No welding since you can easily make front part stronger that way and it will behave differently in a colision. Which can be a hazard...
Yes thats very important to keep the basic construction, i have not removed any beams, just the floor, the thick threshold box is still intact.
Jack Bauer wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:02 am The E31 required significant modification for fitting the Tesla LDU including fitting an E34 rear suspension system and complete custom subframe. A lot of cutting and welding was required. This was done with and under the supervision of a very talented and experienced automotive engineer. Once complete it was inspected and signed off by a certified automotive engineer , passed its annual inspection every year since and is fully declared to all relevant authorities. Once done properly vehicle modifications be they for ev conversion or otherwise are perfectly legitimate.
The car will go through several inspections from engineers, and when they think the reconstruction meet requirements they will help me to complete the next step, the Swedish Motor-Vehicle Inspection Company AB.
New Electric Ireland wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:35 pm
Jack Bauer wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:02 am Once done properly vehicle modifications be they for ev conversion or otherwise are perfectly legitimate.
TEXT
You should maybe make a new thread so everyone can discuss this matter. and make it sticky..
Boxster EV wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:09 pm
New Electric Ireland wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:35 pm
Jack Bauer wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:02 am Once done properly vehicle modifications be they for ev conversion or otherwise are perfectly legitimate.
That's the point we are all trying to make and some of the glib comments here are undermining that IMO.
How's that then? You're intimating that the modifications done by the OP aren't 'legitimate'. They may well be legitimate in his location or the car may be intended for off road use, so what's the issue in appreciating his work and the interesting content?

I don't see any glib comments. Folk expressing interest in the OP's build and thanking him for sharing seems reasonable, no?
Yes there is a very large spread on how to solve just this with renovations and conversions.
Cookie6000 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:40 pm Incredible work. Well done fredd, especially endeavouring to make use of the long-form M3 battery layout. No mean feat. Just to add to the comments above, same goes for mine on the rules on what rules to follow in Ireland. I had the automotive engineer look at my build on the 'return leg' of the Audi, once I had everything ICE out and the basics of the motor mounts and a clear idea of what I wanted and what to go where. He echoed what has been mentioned before, once the structural integrity of the main chassis rails were maintained, I can cut to make room within reason. In my case, it was just the spare wheel well to fit the rear battery box. On my second attempt, I would take this another leap forward for a cleaner build, now I have a good idea of the rules.

On the other concerns raised here, it is one thing that has been in the back of my mind with the details and content I have put up and if anyone was to take them as a 'how-to' guide and then blow their garage up... would it come back to bite me in the arse? Anyway... it is a conversation for another thread! Well done again.
It is important to examine all the rules and laws in the actual place you live, as this is a well-attended international forum, you must be source-critical and contact your country's control body before any build....
New Electric Ireland wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:46 pm
Boxster EV wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:09 pm I don't see any glib comments.
johu wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:24 pm at that build quality who is even going to notice you cut the floor out :)
How do you think a Judge would interpret the comment from Johannes who is legally "Open Inverter"?
Boxster EV wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:09 pm Folk expressing interest in the OP's build and thanking him for sharing seems reasonable, no?
again a lot of text that does not really belong in my project thread, maybe you should make a sticky thread?
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

I've taken the liberty to move the legal discussion here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1337 as it went off on a tangent
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
fredd90

Post by fredd90 »

johu wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:40 pm I've taken the liberty to move the legal discussion here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1337 as it went off on a tangent
Yes this project-thread derailed pretty quickly, thanks for the cleanup. 8-) Let's hope we can keep legal issues/discussions out of project threads, most perhaps to be able to keep a fairly clean and neat project thread for everyone to read :D