Nissan Leaf Powered E46 Touring

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
johu
Site Admin

Re: Nissan Leaf Powered E46 Touring

Post by johu »

Yeeha :D what gear is that?
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

second and third
I'm going to need a hacksaw
johnspark

Post by johnspark »

Very nice.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

arber333

Post by arber333 »

Damien On DIY forum i noticed someone is working on Leaf car power augmentation :).

//
From Ampera (2013 Volt) i know when you apply sport mode you actually dont increase power. What this does is shift throttle curve to provide more torque at lower end of the RPM. The car seems more powerfull that way and in the end you dont need much torque at the 10KRPM to step over 80kW limit.

So there it is your solution for low end power.
1. Put a CAN filter uC on CAN lines between brain and inverter.
2. Filter out the torque demand IDs. Those are published.
3. After filter connect one uC that will read throttle position and calculate what data MSG to output.
4. Test drive!

Maybe you could get away with not cutting the wires. You would just have to time nonsuspecting CAN ID of torque and transmitt the CAN ID with your data just before so inverter decides to listen to yours instead of original. I think there is some requirement how fast throttle signal is transmitted. If you send duplicate ID original will get filtered out as an echo...
//

Since your BMW now drives i wanted to ask you if you could verify/confirm something. Could you add another controller behind your original and transmitt torque ID that would be higher than original? This signal would have to be timed some ms before original. I would like to know if inverter will remove or blanket original CAN ID as an echo?

tnx
JaniK

Post by JaniK »

arber333,

I have been actually wondering if it would be possible to add low end torque to an actual Leaf by putting a middle man module just before the inverter. That would only have task to add torque in lower speeds.

I actually have a 2014 leaf for daily driver and there is much more acceleration to be gained by adding some torque in speeds of 5-50kmh. Without going over 80kW (there are actually original japanese market only Nissan VCM out there that has different torque curves)

Regarding speed 5-50kmh, there is no sense in putting all torque
available at once when standing still. Unless you just want to spin the wheels..
Any opinions are my own, unless stated otherwise. I take no responsibility if you follow my way of doing things and it doesn't work. Please double check with someone who knows what they are doing.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Small update on the E46 touring. Front battery box fitted and currently working out mounting for the Model 3 PCS (charger and dcdc in one).
Attachments
2020-01-23 14.58.11.jpg
2020-01-28 14.43.47.jpg
JaniK

Post by JaniK »

Looks great!

Thumbs up for this project :)
Any opinions are my own, unless stated otherwise. I take no responsibility if you follow my way of doing things and it doesn't work. Please double check with someone who knows what they are doing.
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

The Grey Goose was inspected and passed by an automotive engineer today... next steps include changing the taxation class to electric drive, NCT, and testing on track and road 8-)
IMG_20200131_132721.jpg
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Seems today is a good day :) Congratulations!
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
xp677

Post by xp677 »

Let me know if you need code and/or schematics for control of the Eberspaecher heater, I have some provisional code for my project which uses the same heater.
Igor

Post by Igor »

Good work. There was some discussion about these heaters in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=335&start=20
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Igor wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:24 am Good work. There was some discussion about these heaters in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=335&start=20
I've moved the generic posts re heaters here;

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=335&start=30#p5957
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

The car is now taxed as an electric vehicle (cost €120 p/a) with the automotive inspection/report process working like a dream :)
JaniK

Post by JaniK »

So it is on the road now :) thumbs up!
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Some good work today. Pcs is mounted and secure as is the high voltage junction box.
Need some help locating two components. The 12v high current plug and a european AC connector plug. As my pcs was US I only have the single phase connector plug. The ones pictured do not belong to me so I cant butcher them:)
Attachments
2020-03-12 13.49.30.jpg
2020-03-12 13.55.35.jpg
2020-03-12 13.55.39.jpg
2020-03-12 13.55.45.jpg
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Lots work on Grey Goose this week... the front and rear batteries are now strapped down and the Tesla PCS testing will commence once the last of the cooling system components arrive 8-)
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

The Goose now has cooling thanks to a BMW E90 electric pump. HV junction box is done and car now precharging and starting and driving. Also does a mean donut:) Next up is PCS controller programming to get the dcdc and charger functions working.
Attachments
2020-03-26 09.52.43.jpg
2020-03-27 13.26.26.jpg
2020-03-27 14.43.39.jpg
zippy500

Post by zippy500 »

HV box looks good'

What is white unit wire in series with the pre-charge resister
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Jack Bauer wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:01 pm Also does a mean donut:)
It sure does :D

https://twitter.com/EvBmw/status/124355 ... 28066?s=20
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Lots driving in circles today as the New Electric course participants attempted to break Damiens motor-gearbox coupler and fry the inverter :)

https://twitter.com/NewElectricIRL/stat ... 13793?s=20
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

I take it the "reverse burnout" was un-intentional... 8-)
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

clanger9 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:45 pm I take it the "reverse burnout" was un-intentional... 8-)
No, we wanted to see who on the course would bottle out first :D