VW Polo 86C High Voltage Conversion

Tell us about the project you do with the open inverter
johu
Site Admin

VW Polo 86C High Voltage Conversion

Post by johu »

So, for completeness sake I'll repeat the Polo conversion here, the mother of all "Another Homebrew AC controller" conversions :)
  • 152 LFP040AH in series for an idle voltage of ~500V
  • 18.5kW Industrial ACIM (Lenze MFEMAXX132-22C1C)
  • Homebrew AC controller (using 1200V, 400A IGBTs)
  • Homebrew BMS
  • Inverter Charging
  • LiFePo4 System battery charged by an ebay AC/DC (no DC/DC converter)
  • Audi vacuum pump (8E0927317) for braking with Audi pressure sensor (036906051G) and homebrew control electronics (some resistors, an NPN transistor and a relay)
  • Heating element from a 230Vac heater with a custom solid state relay
  • 800V, 16mm² "solar cable" for the DC connections
  • 4x6mm² for the motor connection
  • Lots of wood, aluminum and fibreglass
I have kept as many original components as possible. For example the original throttle had a pot already, so I could use that. I added another rear defroster switch for cruise control and a pot that controls max regen torque.
I use the existing temperature and fuel gauge as well as the warning lights. Reverse gear is selected with the transmission.

Kilometers driven to date: 25.000km

Attachments
Temp gauge shows motor temp, fuel gauge shows SoC, batt light shows high/low voltage warning, oil light shows error, green light shows ready to go.
Temp gauge shows motor temp, fuel gauge shows SoC, batt light shows high/low voltage warning, oil light shows error, green light shows ready to go.
Left to right: Main DC switch, precharge, AC disconnect, AC present relay, 12V system charger (aka Meanwell PSU)
Left to right: Main DC switch, precharge, AC disconnect, AC present relay, 12V system charger (aka Meanwell PSU)
99 cells in the back
99 cells in the back
53 cells in the front
53 cells in the front
Inverter, motor and batteries are passively cooled
Inverter, motor and batteries are passively cooled
The donor - 1.0 petrol Polo
The donor - 1.0 petrol Polo
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9