Tesla Charger Support Thread

Topics concerning the Tesla front and rear drive unit drop-in board
nesto1972

Re: Tesla Charger Support Thread

Post by nesto1972 »

i know i know!
Can i ask if there is a software on the board or is it forbidden (only for developers)
and it means N O T !! Ok?
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

nesto1972 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 11:04 am Can i ask if there is a software on the board or is it forbidden (only for developers)
A few people are working on the V5 software in their spare time (here)... hopefully they will get it working but for now V2/V3/V4 hardware/software is the most widely deployed and tested.
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
nesto1972

Post by nesto1972 »

thank you for your information!
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

nesto1972 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 11:44 am thank you for your information!
no problem... get yourself a local electronics engineer who can help you... comparing a working board to a faulty board will be easy for them :)
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

The boards are loaded with working software.
I'm going to need a hacksaw
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Jack Bauer wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 12:41 pm The boards are loaded with working software.
ok cool... is that the V5 software published on your GitHub in February?
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Yes this is it here with the mods by Jon Volk and Tom. Working in Jon's car.

https://github.com/damienmaguire/Tesla- ... er_Gen2_V5
nesto1972

Post by nesto1972 »

Thats great,i was not sure if there is already a running software aviable.
I found this picture from the cable for the Serial monitor !
Is that right ? TLL-232R-3V3?
Regards
NESTO
Attachments
57.jpg
56.jpg
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Yep thats exactly what you need.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Video manual for building the Gen 3 charger controller kit :
tom91

Post by tom91 »

bulletbug wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:06 pm I found a way to get 2 logs (serial and canbus) during the same timeframe. SavvyCan524.csvSerialLog524.rtf

Here are my settings:

Settings Menu
1 - Auto Enable : ON
2 - Modules Enabled : 123
3 - Can Mode : Off
4 - Port Type : 1
5 - Phase Wiring : 1
6 - DC Charge Voltage : 400V
7 - AC Current Limit : 11A
8 - CAN0 Speed : 500
9 - CAN1 Speed : 500
a - Can Debug : OFF
b - EVSE Debug : ON
t - termination voltage : 450V
q - To Quit Menu
So you are using a 120Vac supply? This has thrown up quite a few strange behaviours in the past.

Can you please just charge off one module (change enabled modules to 1, 2 or 3) then take a can capture and measure the current and voltage and provide these for further analysis.
Founder Volt Influx https://www.voltinflux.com/
Webstore: https://citini.com/
nabilriaz

Post by nabilriaz »

Jack Bauer wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 2:30 pm Yes this is it here with the mods by Jon Volk and Tom. Working in Jon's car.

https://github.com/damienmaguire/Tesla- ... er_Gen2_V5
The link for the software is in Jon's Github account , or this link ?
I will never give up
bulletbug

Post by bulletbug »

tom91 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 5:15 pm
bulletbug wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:06 pm

So you are using a 120Vac supply? This has thrown up quite a few strange behaviours in the past.

Can you please just charge off one module (change enabled modules to 1, 2 or 3) then take a can capture and measure the current and voltage and provide these for further analysis.
I've done as you requested. Here is the status of these files.

1. Reverted to original copy of .ino file found here

https://github.com/damienmaguire/Tesla- ... rgerV4.ino

2. DC voltage reported on serial monitor as 518v. True pack voltage is 380v.

3. To fix this voltage reporting I modified scaler value on lines 822, 827 and 832 to cause dcvolt to display correct pack voltage on serial monitoring.

4. Other than that no other software changes are included in these results.

5. The EVSE (small portable charger unit from Chevy Spark) lists specs of 120v 60hz 12Amp

Thank you for your help.

SavvyCan526.csv
(632.97 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
Settings526.rtf
(699 Bytes) Downloaded 68 times
SerialLog526.rtf
(150.3 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
tom91

Post by tom91 »

bulletbug wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 12:37 am
bulletbug wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:06 pm

3. To fix this voltage reporting I modified scaler value on lines 822, 827 and 832 to cause dcvolt to display correct pack voltage on serial monitoring.

5. The EVSE (small portable charger unit from Chevy Spark) lists specs of 120v 60hz 12Amp

Thank you for your help.

SavvyCan526.csvSettings526.rtfSerialLog526.rtf
What sort of current did you measure on the DC side?
bulletbug

Post by bulletbug »

tom91 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:20 am

Thank you for your help.

Measuring with a clamp meter on the most negative end of the battery pack the current is low enough that it can be confused with noise. It is displaying between 0.00 and 0.05 amps. In tests where I've used all 3 modules with similar settings the clamp meter would show 0.15 to 0.20.

My clamp displays 2 decimal points and I've confirmed it is accurate by comparing to a DC power supply with another amp meter. They match readings down into the .05 range.

I also have a 240v 42 amp split-single phase EVSE mounted in a different location. If it would help I could retrieve that and test it under the same settings. Anything you need me to do or try, I'm good with. Thank you so much for your help.
tom91

Post by tom91 »

bulletbug wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 2:26 pm

Thank you for your help.

Measuring with a clamp meter on the most negative end of the battery pack the current is low enough that it can be confused with noise. It is displaying between 0.00 and 0.05 amps. In tests where I've used all 3 modules with similar settings the clamp meter would show 0.15 to 0.20.

My clamp displays 2 decimal points and I've confirmed it is accurate by comparing to a DC power supply with another amp meter. They match readings down into the .05 range.

I also have a 240v 42 amp split-single phase EVSE mounted in a different location. If it would help I could retrieve that and test it under the same settings. Anything you need me to do or try, I'm good with. Thank you so much for your help.
Yes give the 240V EVSE a test, as there is some comms over about the AC voltage and there are module firmware limits based on AC inputs.
Bryson

Post by Bryson »

It looks like your problem might be on the AC side in software as your limit is 10A and the serial output is reporting >10A AC. If this is all calculated from DC, it seems wise to trace those calculations back. Has anyone ever gotten 120V single phase running here? It might be something silly like an overflow in a calculation somewhere when AC voltage is in the 120 range. Just a thought, I don’t have my board to start debugging yet but operating on both 120 and 240 automatically is a must for me too.
‘70 jag XJ6, GS450h drivetrain, 102s Tesla pack
bulletbug

Post by bulletbug »

Bryson wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 5:00 pm It looks like your problem might be on the AC side in software as your limit is 10A and the serial output is reporting >10A AC. If this is all calculated from DC, it seems wise to trace those calculations back. Has anyone ever gotten 120V single phase running here? It might be something silly like an overflow in a calculation somewhere when AC voltage is in the 120 range. Just a thought, I don’t have my board to start debugging yet but operating on both 120 and 240 automatically is a must for me too.
I'm curious to hear if anyone else has successfully used 120v. I've taken new readings with the higher voltage charger and will post them next.
bulletbug

Post by bulletbug »

tom91 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 3:36 pm
bulletbug wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 2:26 pm

Yes give the 240V EVSE a test, as there is some comms over about the AC voltage and there are module firmware limits based on AC inputs.
Ok. I've rerun logs using the higher voltage charger. The EVSE is a Juicebox brand with wifi reporting. Watching the related app I'm able to get what I consider to be more accurate charging stats, voltage, amps, etc. Update cycle for the app seems to be in the sub-second range since it reports the HZ of the AC line

Observed Amps: 0.8 amps stable

Initializes and moves directly to .8 amps and holds steady. I've rerun it several times, resetting the board, unplugging charger etc. and get the same results.

SavvyCan527.csv
(1.5 MiB) Downloaded 49 times
Settings527.rtf
(694 Bytes) Downloaded 56 times
SerialLog527.rtf
(278.51 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
Bryson

Post by Bryson »

Interesting that your AC current at both 120 and 240V bounces between either 10.67 or 19.20 amps. I’d start with the AC current calc and work backwards. If I’m understanding correctly, AC current is back-calculated from DC current?
bulletbug

Post by bulletbug »

Bryson wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 6:27 pm Interesting that your AC current at both 120 and 240V bounces between either 10.67 or 19.20 amps. I’d start with the AC current calc and work backwards. If I’m understanding correctly, AC current is back-calculated from DC current?
Something that's not shown in these logs is that I've seen AC current (Input side) showing at 2.13 amp when AC line is completely unplugged. I'll start looking at your suggestion. I'm looking forward to getting Toms feedback as well.

Thanks for the input.
Bryson

Post by Bryson »

May be a mathematical scaling issue due to some foul variable play. (19.2-10.67)/4 = 2.13

Round division numbers are always suspect :)
tom91

Post by tom91 »

bulletbug wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 6:17 pm
Ok. I've rerun logs using the higher voltage charger. The EVSE is a Juicebox brand with wifi reporting. Watching the related app I'm able to get what I consider to be more accurate charging stats, voltage, amps, etc. Update cycle for the app seems to be in the sub-second range since it reports the HZ of the AC line

Observed Amps: 0.8 amps stable

Initializes and moves directly to .8 amps and holds steady. I've rerun it several times, resetting the board, unplugging charger etc. and get the same results.

SavvyCan527.csvSettings527.rtfSerialLog527.rtf
Please report on accurately I see you mention AC read outs from the Juice box.

So the Juicebox tells you the AC current correct, and this is 0.8 Amps is it not?

Can you please see what it draws when you set the AC limit setting to 10 instead of 5. I might be the stupid command formatting is changed.

Please also do not speculate how values are calculated as all displayed feedback values are purely translated from canbus there is no other math happening. So this looks like an exercises of rescaling/checking all values reported AND sent.
Bryson

Post by Bryson »

His prior log was at 10A. Happy to stay in my swim lane and not contribute. Carry on :)
tom91

Post by tom91 »

Bryson wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 7:37 pm His prior log was at 10A. Happy to stay in my swim lane and not contribute. Carry on :)
Correct but he was not measuring AC current but DC current. We are needing to redo the scaling as I mentioned.

there literally is nothing calculated in the software accept the current limit and then translated onto can along with the voltage limit.

Software running on the logic board is alot dumber than you might think.