Tesla Charger Support Thread

Topics concerning the Tesla front and rear drive unit drop-in board
joromy

Re: Tesla Charger Support Thread

Post by joromy »

I think the quote from "Jack Bauer" is for the AC side
Thomas A. Edison “I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work"
Mekanix

Post by Mekanix »

Here we are, back again.

Although communication issues were the likely culprit previously, our Gen3 with a V2 board now isn't charging again. Confirmed DC present, AC present, card modules lit red, but a buncha zeros.

Confirmed 12, 5, 3 volts at modules, confirmed terminations, and it worked previously.

Only real change was to move the charger pre-contactors, but we've moved it back, no action.

Posting a screen cap here for review and a ha moments.

Thanks.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/GBFNxAxtUrPisiJv6
janosch

Post by janosch »

I am struggling with some boards to get a good connection between the Olimex Wifi & STM32 on the board GEN2 V5aB3.
If I restart them often enough, the parameters will load, on one charger it is 2 - 3 times, on another one it is up to 20 restarts.

What is a good way to debug this?
Which protocol is used between Olimex & board?

I saw UEXT can do SPI as well as UART, I do have an ST-Link. What should I see on the terminal if I connect directly to "Programming port" or "CONN9"?

Both chips individually seem fine, because:
- Wifi starts reliably
- charger charges, even when not exposing its params to the wifi
- if they connect to each other web interface works as expected, shows right firmware etc.

Just the connection very flaky.
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

The protocol is UART.
On another thread it turned out the connection in the 10-pin connector was not making good contact. Slightly bending the pins helped.
I think the power supply on that board is also right on the edge, you could try some makeshift way of supplying the Wifi module separately to see if it works. That said, one mine it works just fine.
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Block 4 boards have upgraded 3v3 psu and filtering to the wifi module. Additionally, all boards are wifi tested before dispatch as this has to be done to enter the software pin.
I'm going to need a hacksaw
jason_arnold

Re: Tesla SDU main contactor not closing

Post by jason_arnold »

qmedia2651 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:00 am My board v5 with commercial firmware have to reset button to start led to Blink wifi working after reset but if power off must reset again.

Any one can have any input on this matter.
Qmedia from Orlando Florida. Working on 1991 300CE Mercedes conversion project.
Just saw this and had the same problem here. There is a set of jumpers on CONN4 of the V5 board (not present on future revisions) to switch BOOT0 and BOOT1 to either GND or 3V3. By jumpering BOOT0 to GND, the STM32 boots properly on power-up and you will see parameters on the WiFi interface 👍
timbradley

Post by timbradley »

Had my ZeroEV board working in the Gen2 Tesla charger and have changed settings utilizing Putty multiple times in recent weeks. All was functioning fine. Today as I was updating the cooling system I went to increase the testing amperage of 5. After quitting Putty and disconnecting, I was not able to connect again. I keep getting an error of "Unable to open connection to COM6 Opening '\\,\COM6': Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified." I also notice that in addition to LED2 shining bright, like always, LED1 now has a faint glow, which I haven't seen before.

Any suggestions?
20220319_135844.jpg
20220319_114600.jpg
1969 Beetle w/ Hyper-9
1988 Pontiac Fiero w/ Tesla SDU(OI), 16 18650, Orion BMS2
1968 VW Transporter 2 w/ Hyper-9
m.art.y

Post by m.art.y »

Hi, wondering if anybody using arduino firmware for the Tesla charger could help? Basically I'm running arduino firmware that I found on Damiens github called Gen2TeslaChargerV4.ino. There were other versions in there too, I wasn't sure which one to use. Basically the charger keeps switching off after a while and I can't exactly understand why. I've been watching Temp Lim Cur: 23 25 25, where first and last digits doesn't change but the middle one keeps rising and it reaches 25, sometimes 26 even though I am cooling the charger and the charger case feels cold to the touch. I understand middle number could be the actual temp but what is first and last digit? If that's a limit could the temp limit be upped a bit, I don't think 25 degrees is very hot for the charger? Interestingly when I am only charging at 2 AC amps without cooling the charger gets quite warm to the touch and yet does not shut down. Also what the charger is supposed to do when it reaches the DC voltage setpoint? Mine seems to keep on charging. Thanks a lot 😊
janosch

Post by janosch »

Stupid question:
Gen2: A3/D1 enable is 12V or 5V?

I connected +12V but saw references to +5V and +12V here and am now questioning myself. Others have also connected 12V, but is that wrong?

I can update the wiki.
Attachments
bryson_12v.png
Screenshot from 2022-04-08 16-30-39.png
EV_Builder

Post by EV_Builder »

It's +12VDC.

I will try if I can analyse your logs to see what's going on in the broken charger.
Converting an Porsche Panamera
see http://www.wdrautomatisering.nl for bespoke BMS modules.
Bryson

Post by Bryson »

I don’t recall using 5V anywhere, just 12V from the car’s regular bus voltage
‘70 jag XJ6, GS450h drivetrain, 102s Tesla pack
m.art.y

Post by m.art.y »

Hi, where do you connect PE pin of the Type2 socket when using Tesla gen3 charger? 🙂 Thanks
tom91

Post by tom91 »

m.art.y wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:51 pm Hi, where do you connect PE pin of the Type2 socket when using Tesla gen3 charger? 🙂 Thanks
PE stands for protective earth, connect it to chassis which also is referred to as 12V negative or ground.
Founder Volt Influx https://www.voltinflux.com/
EV_Builder

Post by EV_Builder »

And if I recall Damiens video; connect the body of the charger to chassis to. With an earthstrap.
catphish

Post by catphish »

I've had a bad day with my GEN2 charger. Got it hooked up to some batteries (about 350V) this morning, started charging at around 10A and all was well. After a few minutes charging stopped. My 5A AC fuse had blown (this isn't unexpected, I forgot to put a larger fuse in after initial low current testing). Unfortunately, after replacing the fuse, the logic board does not seem to be able to communicate with any of the power modules. When the charger is enabled, the power LEDs on the power modules illuminate, but the status on all three remains at "CheckAlive". These are the same symptoms as when CAN isn't correctly terminated.

I have tried the following:
* Setting chargerena to 1, 2, 4, this changes which modules power up, but all remain in state CheckAlive
* Tried an external CAN temination resistor, internal termination resistor, and both. Same result
* Unplugged each of the 3 power modules from the control bus. Same result.

Is there anything obvious that could have happened here? :(
EV_Builder

Post by EV_Builder »

What do you measure as CAN termination resistance?
Do you see CAN at all?
catphish

Post by catphish »

EV_Builder wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 7:49 pm What do you measure as CAN termination resistance?
Do you see CAN at all?
The DC resistance on the CAN bus is 120R. I haven't had a chance to hook up an oscilloscope of CAN sniffer to the line yet to see what's happening there.
m.art.y

Post by m.art.y »

catphish wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 8:27 pm
The DC resistance on the CAN bus is 120R. I haven't had a chance to hook up an oscilloscope of CAN sniffer to the line yet to see what's happening there.
With power off you need to see 60 Ohm resistance between CAN H and CAN L or otherwise it is not going to work.
catphish

Post by catphish »

m.art.y wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 8:42 pm
catphish wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 8:27 pm
With power off you need to see 60 Ohm resistance between CAN H and CAN L or otherwise it is not going to work.
That's a reasonable assumption, but I'm not sure it's a correct one. It's always worked for me with a single 120R resistor, the documentation claims that the internal termination (120R) is sufficient, and I also tested it with both (120 internal + 120 external) and it didn't help matters.
m.art.y

Post by m.art.y »

catphish wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:36 pm That's a reasonable assumption, but I'm not sure it's a correct one.
The idea was to measure resistance of your CAN loop with power off to see if anything is offsetting it. If you see 60 Ohm then you know it's fine. If you had it working briefly something might have just failed - maybe CAN transcievers are bad people are reporting them being bad.
catphish

Post by catphish »

m.art.y wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 3:04 am The idea was to measure resistance of your CAN loop with power off to see if anything is offsetting it. If you see 60 Ohm then you know it's fine. If you had it working briefly something might have just failed - maybe CAN transcievers are bad people are reporting them being bad.
That makes sense. I see 120R which is what I expected with just the internal termination resistor, so at least there's no short. I'll double check with both resistors that the resistance is 60 though, and try that. One thing that's been suggested is that I may need to connect GND to the casing, which I haven't been doing, so that's worth a try.
janosch

Post by janosch »

catphish wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:44 am ...
Hi, definitely make sure its 60Ohm.

Interestingly I have the same problem with a logic board at the moment, I am just today measuring on the CAN TX side of the can transceiver on the board if it gets the signal there
1) if it gets the signal and it doesn't generate CANH & CANL --> transceiver faulty, replace
2) if the STM32 is silent --> trace back signal, flash firmware and see if that will make it spit out signals (unlikely to be firmware issue I suppose)

If I understood Johannes correctly, the logic board should always spit out CAN messages 45C, 42C, 43C.
m.art.y wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 3:04 am ... maybe CAN transcievers are bad people are reporting them being bad.
Super interesting, who are these people? I might be one of them (to be confirmed today & tomorrow).
m.art.y

Post by m.art.y »

janosch wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:11 am Super interesting, who are these people? I might be one of them (to be confirmed today & tomorrow).
Depends where you got them from, it has to do with fakes/bad ones being sold due to global shortage. Even Jack Bauer admitted to buying them from untrusted sources.
janosch

Post by janosch »

Ok, on the logic board CAN_RX looks good, CAN_TX not so much. I am just reading up on this, but does that mean that the transceiver is toast, or the stm32 not sending properly? It looks to me like periodic attempts at sending the message and failing after 1 bit, but is there an ACK needed from the transceiver that is missing when its broken?
Attachments
can_tx.jpg
can_rx.jpg
setup.jpg
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

I think it means the stm32 is not reading back what it is sending so it backs off right away. Could be a bad transceiver or solder joint
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9