Tesla Large Drive Unit Support Thread

Topics concerning the Tesla front and rear drive unit drop-in board
johu
Site Admin

Re: Tesla Large Drive Unit Support Thread

Post by johu »

Alright, while all connectors are here now I ran into other problems: The opamp for the Sigma/Delta demodulator is not populated and neither is the clock generator (my faults). Of course I discovered the latter after placing my order. Also my test adapter is not really working out and next week I'll be on holiday. So I'm afraid some more time will pass until the LDU board shows up on the shop, sorry about that.
Please do not keep sending me inquiries as that will not speed things up at all but rather generates additional interrupts that slow me down!
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
Rx7FD

Post by Rx7FD »

Hi, I've been driving around for a while with no issues, but I want to improve the throttle response of the motor. There is currently a weird response where the motor will apply a reverse torque before giving torque in the correct direction. Under 10mph, its unnoticeable, but above 30 mph it becomes really annoying, and even more annoying the faster I go. It's almost like regenerative braking, but it draws a lot of current (like 100 amps), and only occurs in like 10% of the throttle response. Is there a parameter I need to change to fix this, or what should I do? I hope this isn't normal. Thanks for your guys help!
jon volk

Post by jon volk »

Rx7FD wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:35 am Hi, I've been driving around for a while with no issues, but I want to improve the throttle response of the motor. There is currently a weird response where the motor will apply a reverse torque before giving torque in the correct direction. Under 10mph, its unnoticeable, but above 30 mph it becomes really annoying, and even more annoying the faster I go. It's almost like regenerative braking, but it draws a lot of current (like 100 amps), and only occurs in like 10% of the throttle response. Is there a parameter I need to change to fix this, or what should I do? I hope this isn't normal. Thanks for your guys help!
Sounds like you’re on an old firmware version with the encoder count error. This would result in a spot of high speed regen in the pedal travel. What version are you on?
Formerly 92 E30 BMW Cabrio with Tesla power
Rx7FD

Post by Rx7FD »

It currently has 4.17.R. Is there a guide somewhere on how to update the firmware? I tried uploading version 4.85.R to the board (file name: stm32_sine.bin) using the web interface, but afterwards the parameters showed it was still at 4.17
jon volk

Post by jon volk »

Just click select file and upload the desired .bin file. Make sure it’s the .bin and not .hex. Shouldn’t need anything beyond that.
Hank

Post by Hank »

I have 3 tesla batteries hooked up properly to the LDU. 58V is what I'm reading.
I set UDCMIN to 50
I set UDCSW to 50
Latest version of firmware
When I turn on 12v power, Negative and precharge contactors close. (If I do the same without the tesla batteries hooked up, precharge opens after 5 seconds as it should)
When I hit my start button....nothing.
I'm bench testing, have verified all of my wiring loom etc, that's all good.
There are no errors when I look at last error in the software.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
Attachments
Huebner Inverter Management Console.PDF
(353.12 KiB) Downloaded 116 times
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Hank wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:33 pm I have 3 tesla batteries hooked up properly to the LDU. 58V is what I'm reading.
Assuming these modules are from a 80/90/100kWh Tesla battery then three in series should be ~75V at full charge (4.2V per cell) and ~60V discharged (3.3V per cell).
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Hank wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:33 pm I have 3 tesla batteries hooked up properly to the LDU. 58V is what I'm reading.
I set UDCMIN to 50
I set UDCSW to 50
When I turn on 12v power, Negative and precharge contactors close. (If I do the same without the tesla batteries hooked up, precharge opens after 5 seconds as it should)
status=PotPressed -> not starting because potnom > 0
potnom > 0 because idlespeed is set to 275 rpm when brake pedal not pressed

So: either set idlemode=Off or press brake pedal/pull brake input high.
Also while skimming over the parameters I noticed encmode=Single. Please use Tesla parameters from wiki to avoid further problems.
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
Hank

Post by Hank »

Thank you!
That did the trick.
Roadstercycle

Post by Roadstercycle »

johu wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:01 pm
I set UDCMIN to 50
I set UDCSW to 50
status=PotPressed -> not starting because potnom > 0
potnom > 0 because idlespeed is set to 275 rpm when brake pedal not pressed

So: either set idlemode=Off or press brake pedal/pull brake input high.
Also while skimming over the parameters I noticed encmode=Single. Please use Tesla parameters from wiki to avoid further problems.
Johu, I'm wondering what you meant by the single encmode=single. Is it suppose to be something else? I am running single encmode and so is Damien in the download parameters thread. Am I missing something?
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

No one should be running single encoder mode in any tesla drive unit.
I'm going to need a hacksaw
jon volk

Post by jon volk »

Roadstercycle wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:29 am

Johu, I'm wondering what you meant by the single encmode=single. Is it suppose to be something else? I am running single encmode and so is Damien in the download parameters thread. Am I missing something?
Everyone is or should be running quadrature/typeAB. The 1 in the parameter files is not for single encoder, it is for index 1 of the possible choices.
Roadstercycle

Post by Roadstercycle »

jon volk wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:47 pm
Roadstercycle wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:29 am

Everyone is or should be running quadrature/typeAB. The 1 in the parameter files is not for single encoder, it is for index 1 of the possible choices.
Thanks for clearing that up.
Rx7FD

Post by Rx7FD »

After updating from firmware 4.17 to 4.85, throttle pedal regen stopped working. I tried setting speedkp from 0 to 1 and updating to firmware 4.90, but regen still doesn't work. Here are my current parameters, I tried setting brkmax to +40%, but it only accepts negative values. Any ideas on what the issue is?

brknompedal -50%
regenramp 3%/10ms
brknom 30%
brkmax -40%
brkcruise -30%
brkrampstr 40 Hz
jon volk

Post by jon volk »

Are you using pot2 for brake pedal regen by any chance?
Rx7FD

Post by Rx7FD »

I am not, but I'm thinking about adding the brake pressure sensor in the future. Also, my throttle pedal has 30% dead travel right now, with the correct pot settings.
jon volk

Post by jon volk »

Post your parameter json so we can see if anything is amiss.
Rx7FD

Post by Rx7FD »

I am actually using the most recent parameter file you posted (thank you for sharing them!), but I did mess around with the regen settings, and changed potmin to fit my throttle pedal. Everything else is the same. Could it be firmware related? I lost pedal regen after updating (I tried my old parameter file to no avail).
Attachments
params (1).json
(1.37 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
jon volk

Post by jon volk »

Set pot2 min and max to 4095
Rx7FD

Post by Rx7FD »

I figured the issue out. Motor was not going into idlemode since I don't have my brake light switch hooked up. I changed the parameter idlemode to "always on" and speedkp to "1". Regen works normally now.
Lowcoe

Post by Lowcoe »

Hello, First post!
Putting a LDU into a 1968 Land Rover Series 109

Trying to fire up my LDU for first time.
WiFi listed as “inverter7”
But
Passcode :inverter123
doesn’t work... has this been changed or am I just as dense as I think I am?

Erich
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Every kit comes with a paper info sheet that contains the password. I change it every now and then to decrease likelyhood of someone logging into your inverter at a stop light ;)
Lowcoe

Post by Lowcoe »

Thank you. The first of many droll questions I’m afraid..
Roadstercycle

Post by Roadstercycle »

I am trying to find an answer as to what is the difference between running the encoder in A/B mode and running in single mode. The reason I ask is because somewhere along the line, I believe it was in the last motor software update (I'm not completely sure about that) my encoder got changed to single mode. So the other day Jon Volk noticed it and said I should be in A/B mode. Damien chimed in and said that nobody should be in single mode. What's really weird is that a lot of people even Damien has said that they are getting jerkiness when starting off slowly and can not seem to clean it up. My setup is smooth and clean starting, running and is a rocket ship until I switch to A/B mode. Then I get the slow speed jerkiness and it does not feel smooth. Switch back and it's fine. So what am I hurting or going to hurt if anything in single mode? I keep switching back to A/B and checking to see if I'm just imagining the jerkiness but I'm not, it does really make a difference. I don't suggest anyone doing this as I don't know the ramifications if any.
muehlpower

Post by muehlpower »

fransoa wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:10 pm Hi, I'm a new user. Tesla large drive unit with V3 board and software in version 4.57.R-sin. I encounter a surprising phenomenon: When I turn the motor manually the speed value varies surprisingly: By tracing the value on Plot it varies by steps of 41 (41 / 82 / 123 / 164 / ....) always with positive values whatever the direction of rotation . Tesla setting: encmode=AB ; respolepairs=1; numimp=36. The encoder seems to be working properly. If anyone has any explanation I'm very interested. Thanks.
i have exactly this behavior with my motor, although it runs normally, at least on the workbench. In single mode, the RPM display is correct. If I swap A / B it just runs slowly and jerkily.

my firmware is one year old, i will update it sometime.

Usually an A / B decoder has the advantage that the direction of rotation can be determined and a litle back and forth movement is not interpreted as a rotation!