Tesla Large Drive Unit Support Thread

Topics concerning the Tesla front and rear drive unit drop-in board
wigman

Re: Tesla Large Drive Unit Support Thread

Post by wigman »

Ok I double checked all the parameters and switched my encoder to AB instead of single.

Also the ilgain I think is accurate, if I change it to -1 it reads a positive number when it should read 0 (before the start signal happens). Maybe the multiplier changed with new software/hardware versions?

With the encoder changed, the motor would spin at a snails pace and jog (whatever the word for clunk and not smoothly spin). Adding throttle made it spin very slightly faster. I switched back to single mode and now it runs like that in v4.76 and v4.71 all the time. It still will not close the main contactor in the newest test version or 4.56.

I also tried swapping my encoder wires and it has the same run ability no matter which way they are connected.

I even tried a different battery just in case.

Unless I have a dcnom value it won’t spin at all.

So now it runs even worse than before!
MaxTE7

Post by MaxTE7 »

Hi Guys, I'm a new member here,
I'm slowly gathering parts for an EV conversion I am planning and I've finally received my esp8266 and my rear drive unit inverter control board. I was just wondering what web interface you guys are using for setting these values as I have seen many different ones in Damien's videos and on Github.
Ex:
https://github.com/dimecho/Huebner-Inverter
https://github.com/damienmaguire/ESP8266-WiFi-Interface
https://github.com/jsphuebner/esp8266-web-interface
Which one do you guys use so I can have a similar experience and have an easier time asking questions about values and connectivity and such in the future?
jon volk

Post by jon volk »

wigman wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:42 pm Ok I double checked all the parameters and switched my encoder to AB instead of single.

Also the ilgain I think is accurate, if I change it to -1 it reads a positive number when it should read 0 (before the start signal happens). Maybe the multiplier changed with new software/hardware versions?

With the encoder changed, the motor would spin at a snails pace and jog (whatever the word for clunk and not smoothly spin). Adding throttle made it spin very slightly faster. I switched back to single mode and now it runs like that in v4.76 and v4.71 all the time. It still will not close the main contactor in the newest test version or 4.56.

I also tried swapping my encoder wires and it has the same run ability no matter which way they are connected.

I even tried a different battery just in case.

Unless I have a dcnom value it won’t spin at all.

So now it runs even worse than before!
Which encoder wires were swapped?

Did you try uploading the full json file I linked?

Single encoder is the wrong setting for this motor. Theres no debate on that.
Formerly 92 E30 BMW Cabrio with Tesla power
jon volk

Post by jon volk »

MaxTE7 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:20 pm Hi Guys, I'm a new member here,
I'm slowly gathering parts for an EV conversion I am planning and I've finally received my esp8266 and my rear drive unit inverter control board. I was just wondering what web interface you guys are using for setting these values as I have seen many different ones in Damien's videos and on Github.
Ex:
https://github.com/dimecho/Huebner-Inverter
https://github.com/damienmaguire/ESP8266-WiFi-Interface
https://github.com/jsphuebner/esp8266-web-interface
Which one do you guys use so I can have a similar experience and have an easier time asking questions about values and connectivity and such in the future?
I only use the files from Johannes github.
wigman

Post by wigman »

I swapped a and b. In the stock and swapped positions everything acted the same.

I loaded the parameter file and the motor won’t turn at all. (If I change the udcnom it will run very slow and very jerky)

I have the encode mode now in AB in every setting I try.
jon volk

Post by jon volk »

At 100v or so try setting ampmin to 0 and boost to 1000.
Set udcnom to 0. This is messing with boost and fslip too much at this level. At 100v, a 390 udcnom would result in a 1700 boost value becoming 6700 and fslip 5.6. The boost is well out of the range you want to see.
wigman

Post by wigman »

I set ocurlim to -2500 and il1 and il2 to -1. My contactor will flip without overcurrent but it doesn't change runability.

I changed udcnom to 0 and boost to 1000. The inverter will make a quiet whine when put in drive or reverse but the motor will not spin. This has been the case in all parameter settings where udcnom is 0. That's why the motor only spun when I loaded the E30 parameters.

Attached is the current parameters I have for testing.

Also there are the spot values when the ignition is turned on and the start signal has been sent with the main contactor closed and in neutral.
Attachments
wigmanparameters (2).json
(1.28 KiB) Downloaded 112 times
IMG_0969.PNG
IMG_0968.PNG
tom91

Post by tom91 »

Your heat sink is reading 100C, please stop overloading the drive unit and smashing changes in it without figuring out what is going on.
The inverter is limiting hard due to the temperature reading.

I would advise for extended testing to get coolant flowing. Your settings do not look miles off from what it takes to spin a motor.
Founder Volt Influx https://www.voltinflux.com/
Webstore: https://citini.com/
wigman

Post by wigman »

If you follow other posts you will see there was a temp sensor errors with MUX. There was an open task created and Johannes posted revised versions that fix that problem. The actual heatsink temp is 23c. Besides that the other versions fix the issue, you can graph the temp on this version and see it toggle from 23 to 100 over and over again due to the programming error. Unfortunately the newest version won’t even close the main contactor so I’m using the version my board came with for testing.

That being said, the inverter is derated with this version, but it’s not even spinning like it was previously. If you read my previous posts, I actually got the motor to spin the correct way with the newest revised version once. 5 minutes later I turned it on again without changing any settings and the main contactor wouldn’t even close. I really don’t think this is a software or parameter issue.

The main thing I don’t understand is why my board came with a single encoder setting and not AB since it was a built and tested board. Also, the board came with a bad solder joint causing an overcurrent code that would have given the same code had the board been tested before it was sent.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

wigman wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:20 pm The main thing I don’t understand is why my board came with a single encoder setting and not AB since it was a built and tested board. Also, the board came with a bad solder joint causing an overcurrent code that would have given the same code had the board been tested before it was sent.
As I mentioned in a previous posting the solder joint was quite likely my fault as the connectors are hand soldered. I either missed or didn't correctly solder the pin in question. A test of the current sensors does take place and would have had to have passed or I would have found the underlying cause. I can not say why single encoder mode would have been selected. That absolutely should not be the case. So again , most likely my fault in not saving a parameter.

Just to put this in some perspective. I run a Tesla drive unit in one of my cars with the first hand soldered prototype board. I would not sell a design that did not work. When problems arose and oh boy were there problems with getting the bugs out of this and the small drive units, I stepped up. In no small part due to the ongoing problems being experienced by wigman I have handed over sale and support of drive unit boards to Johannes as it is grossly unfair for someone to have to fault find a board bought as tested. I am sure he can and will provide a better service than I could. So there is no mystery here. Damien Maguire messed up wigmans board. Can I be any more explicit? So let's wrap this up. Please contact me offline and I will arrange a refund for your payment. I would then suggest contacting Johannes for a replacement board. I do my absolute to help everyone but yet again it seems find myself lacking. Perhaps time for a rethink...
I'm going to need a hacksaw
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Jack Bauer wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:25 pm Perhaps time for a rethink...
My suggestion;

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=695&p=9507#p9507
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

A refund has now been issued to wigman. Here ends my work on LDU / SDU development.
I'm going to need a hacksaw
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Jack Bauer wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:30 pm A refund has now been issued to wigman. Here ends my work on LDU / SDU development.
Thanks for everything that you have done to make low cost Tesla solutions possible 8-)
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Alright, time to speak up I guess.
So as mentioned I will be taking over the distribution of the Tesla LDU/SDU logic boards. If I remember correctly about 9 LDU boards are on their way here from Ireland, so these will become available first. A few weaks after I will issue a JLCPCB order to make the others available also.

The boards will be listed on openinverter.org/shop . As for the Leaf boards I will build a test rig and run an automated test procedure. Also the boards will be flashed with software AND parameters in one go, i.e. no manual step here.

As opposed to Damien I will not sell the boards as "fully built" i.e. you will have to solder at least one component. The reason for that is the more relaxed legislation for kits as opposed to ready to use electronics.

One thing I do not have and will never have is a drive unit, let alone a car with it. So when it comes to development work I have to rely on someone who has.

I may put and end to this thread and rather have people create a thread for each specific problem.
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
MattsAwesomeStuff

Post by MattsAwesomeStuff »

Damien - Why do you hate Johannes?

Johannes - Why do you hate yourself?

Just kidding, I'm sure most people buying Tesla drive units are pleasant people. Best of luck with it.
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

You're right. It's already starting.

Do not send me e-mails asking when the boards will become available. They are available when they show up in the web shop.
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
Maverick441

Post by Maverick441 »

Can I pre-order the board?
P.S.Mangelsdorf

Post by P.S.Mangelsdorf »

Maverick441 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:49 am Can I pre-order the board?
johu wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:27 pm They are available when they show up in the web shop.
I think his answer was pretty clear.
If at first you don't succeed, buy a bigger hammer.

1940 Chevrolet w/ Tesla LDU - "Shocking Chevy" - Completed 2023 Hot Rod Drag Week
jon volk

Post by jon volk »

Maverick441 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:49 am Can I pre-order the board?
If you dont want to wait, theres always the pcb files on github.
Maverick441

Post by Maverick441 »

[P.S.Mangelsdorf ][I think his answer was pretty clear.]

Sometime sellers distinguish pre-order and general sale. Pre-order is almost guarantee you can get one, but general sale is subject to first come first serve and may end up waiting for another round. A waiting list could work too, just a suggestion, it could help Johu to gauge how many to order and make.

It will be good to know roughly how many Johu is making for the first round. I can wait a bit, but knowing the rough time frame will help planning. If I need to wait a year, I may go the pcb route... but I couldn't test.
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Maverick441 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:20 pm It will be good to know roughly how many Johu is making for the first round. I can wait a bit, but knowing the rough time frame will help planning. If I need to wait a year, I may go the pcb route... but I couldn't test.
Already answered;
johu wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:23 pm If I remember correctly about 9 LDU boards are on their way here from Ireland, so these will become available first. A few weaks after I will issue a JLCPCB order to make the others available also.
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Thanks for stepping in. I have received the first 7 boards from Damien and it's SDU not LDU boards. There are quite a few things to cover before sale can start, all of which happen in parallel to my regular job, the BMS, the Toyota board and the forum. That makes it hard to predict when sale starts but it will certainly happen within months. No clearer prediction, I don't want to pressure myself.
So, things to do:
  • order LDU boards from JLC
  • order connectors for both boards
  • build test rig for both boards using unpopulated boards as base
  • test software
  • programming process
  • set up kit with minimal paper docs
  • set up shop
I will start with batches of 10 and if demand is high increase batch size up to 30 which is JLCs maximum batch size. If demand is higher inquire at digikey for distribution :)
muehlpower

Post by muehlpower »

A general question, can the BMS reduce the performance of the LDU to avoid deep charging or not to exceed the maximum voltage when regenerating. Or is that guaranteed by the limitations in the inverter software?
jon volk

Post by jon volk »

The software will limit regen if at max voltage. In reality, it’s not a problem unless you can somehow regen brake down a mountain on a full charge. Losses are greater than the motor can put back
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

Update on LDU situation:
I have ordered 5 LDU boards at JLC and its accompanying connectors. Unfortunately the 24-way connector will only become available in June. So I'm think I can start supplying LDU boards starting 10th of June.

Damien sent me some bare LDU boards that I will use to build the test rig.
I have created a default parameter set based on Jon Volks parameters and I have hidden away everything that only has adverse effects when changed. In addition I could program the openinverter CAN standard by default.