Tesla Charger to Charging tesla charge port, home built supercharger?

Topics concerning the Tesla front and rear drive unit drop-in board
magudaman

Tesla Charger to Charging tesla charge port, home built supercharger?

Post by magudaman »

I recently discovered Damien Maguire while on a quest for DC charging hardware options for tesla vehicles. He got me excited about the possibility of using the Tesla Gen 3 18.5kw 3 phase charger to function as DC charger for use with tesla vehicles. Has anyone attempted to utilize the tesla chargers to interface to exterior charge port to get the car to charge similar to a supercharger? Has anyone paralleled multiple Gen 1 or Gen 2 to charge vehicles or tesla? Am I stuck converting the GEN3 charger to chadamo and using the adapter?

What I am trying to do: I would like to utilize the gen 3 18.5kw charger or several gen 2 units to accept 3 or more separate sources of power to charge the traction pack at 18.5kw or greater while at track day events. RV/Caravan outlets at the race tracks are generally abundant and provide 208v at up to 40 amps continuous. Normally this limits you to one source and about 8kw. The Gen 3 is a nice size for portability with a squid of cables to source power.

Hopefully I didn't duplicate a thread (could find one with search) and delete if I did and I can repost there.
dougyip

Re: Tesla Charger to Charging tesla charge port, home built supercharger?

Post by dougyip »

We built a unit using three parallel Gen2 chargers running in parallel for our race car. This provides 27kW of charging. Sounds like you have similar requirements as us. We used 3 separate NEMA 14-50 inlets to allow power from 3 sources. In our case, this was three NEMA outlets from diesel generators. Since ours was a modifed vehicle, we connected directly to the battery (through the contactors & fuse) and used our Orion 2 BMS for monitoring. From reading your post, it sounds like you need to talk Tesla, CCS, or ChadeMo. You would have to use a controller meant for a Supercharger station. In-Tech make both vehicle and station side controllers. You might want to try contacting them. Let us know how you make out.
Bratitude

Post by Bratitude »

as a start, the alternative charger software supports the chademo protocol viewtopic.php?t=1323
https://bratindustries.net/ leaf motor couplers, adapter plates, custom drive train components
P.S.Mangelsdorf

Post by P.S.Mangelsdorf »

magudaman wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:05 pm I recently discovered Damien Maguire while on a quest for DC charging hardware options for tesla vehicles. He got me excited about the possibility of using the Tesla Gen 3 18.5kw 3 phase charger to function as DC charger for use with tesla vehicles. Has anyone attempted to utilize the tesla chargers to interface to exterior charge port to get the car to charge similar to a supercharger? Has anyone paralleled multiple Gen 1 or Gen 2 to charge vehicles or tesla? Am I stuck converting the GEN3 charger to chadamo and using the adapter?

What I am trying to do: I would like to utilize the gen 3 18.5kw charger or several gen 2 units to accept 3 or more separate sources of power to charge the traction pack at 18.5kw or greater while at track day events. RV/Caravan outlets at the race tracks are generally abundant and provide 208v at up to 40 amps continuous. Normally this limits you to one source and about 8kw. The Gen 3 is a nice size for portability with a squid of cables to source power.

Hopefully I didn't duplicate a thread (could find one with search) and delete if I did and I can repost there.
Has anyone done this exact set up? yes (Jason Hughes/wk057). Is he likely to ever share it here? no. He's shared photos of his home built Supercharger but tends to avoid open source.

Your best bet is combining what Doug has done with the Chademo protocol that Bratitude notes, and then using a Chademo to Tesla adapter.
If at first you don't succeed, buy a bigger hammer.

1940 Chevrolet w/ Tesla LDU - "Shocking Chevy" - Completed 2023 Hot Rod Drag Week