Charging an european Model 3 on CHAdeMO

Topics concerning the Tesla front and rear drive unit drop-in board
bgrigoriu

Charging an european Model 3 on CHAdeMO

Post by bgrigoriu »

I hope I am knocking at the right door.
It just happened to have to buy a car and for various reasons it is a Model 3.
The issue is that I have to charge-it from time to time and the best I can found around IN TOWN are Chademo DC chargers.

Tesla sells a Chademo adapter for US/Canada model 3 with the proprietary Tesla charger connector and another for the model S/X which accept on their type 2 connector either an AC ( 1or 3 phase) or a DC current.
The European Model 3 come with a combo CCS and do not accept on their Type 2 part DC current which has to be supplied on the bottom DC pins.

The idea is to build an adaptor for the CHAdeMo Tesla adapter which will allow to DC charge an European model 3. I do not now if is theoretically feasible (notwithstanding technical fesability)

I looked around (but probably I am half blind) and do not manage to find a good description (I am not talking precise schematics which would be great but impossible) of the model 3 charging manager in order to evaluate what would be necessary to build such adapter .

Would a “dumb” adapter that will divert the DC current from the type 2 connector to the combo CCS suffice ?
Some other logic is required ?
Theoretically the software is almost the same on EU and US vehicles and thus the car should already be able to handle this.

Can you help with some info or at least some direction where to dig?
amzoo

Re: Charging an european Model 3 on CHAdeMO

Post by amzoo »

This would be a good place to start to understand what's happening at the port: Tesla Model 3 Charge Port Controller Standalone Development