Tesla Model 3 Charger

Topics concerning the Tesla front and rear drive unit drop-in board
Kevin Sharpe

Re: Tesla Model 3 Charger

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Jack Bauer wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 6:44 pm Oh well guess I imagined it all then.
Given Tesla's history I see no reason to doubt that different versions of the PCS exist :)
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Much as I'd love to join in with a clickbait video of my own I'm too busy getting to grips with the new foc inverter firmware. In the meantime what do you think of my little sketch?
Attachments
2020-05-22 13.10.58.jpg
I'm going to need a hacksaw
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Brilliant!

Ah well, all clear. I see what you mean about the clickbait. Teslaworld is proper weird...
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

The guy who undertook the PCS analysis and hypothesised V2G capability has now said "it is not bidirectional unfortunately. A big miss on my part" :(
Screenshot 2020-05-23 at 16.08.25.png
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Ok. So how does any of this explain what I observed?
Isaac96

Post by Isaac96 »

Well of course you must have been hallucinating. No other explanation.

In all seriousness there must have been a hardware change between the parts that these guys have and the charger that you have. Living on the cutting edge :)
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Jack Bauer wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 5:05 pm Ok. So how does any of this explain what I observed?
It doesn't but I really don't think that's important today. When you get back to the PCS you'll be able to answer these questions like you always do :D
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

My point here is I'd just like people to think critically and verify for themselves. That whole nonsense about needing 650v to run a Toyota motor was so damned pervasive I even started believing it
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Jack Bauer wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 9:28 am My point here is I'd just like people to think critically and verify for themselves.
I think you might have a long wait for that... maybe Human 2.0 will be better ;)
Chazable

Post by Chazable »

Apologies for coming in a bit ignorant on the subject, but I'm very curious and was pointed to the forum by New Electric Ireland on Twitter. 😊

My question is in terms of the High Voltage DC connection that is made to the battery from the charge port when connected to a Supercharger or a CCS DC Fast Charger.

Is there any reason why the Direct 400v DC link to the battery pack can't be discharged through the charge port? In case there's any confusion I understand that the onboard charger can't be used as an inverter as the diodes don't allow for it. But on the DC side an inverter exterior to the vehicle could be used to convert the 400v DC to 240 AC. Albeit using much more expensive wall box.

Again, apologies if I'm oversimplifying the whole thing, but I'm eager to learn how the Model 3 Charger handles Supercharging and CCS DC Fast Charging.

Thankyou.
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Chazable wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 1:58 am Is there any reason why the Direct 400v DC link to the battery pack can't be discharged through the charge port?
In theory that could work but we have no reason to believe the penthouse controller supports that functionality today (Indeed both Elon Musk and JB Straubel have consistently said V2G is not a priority). It's also worth remembering that the CCS interface used on European cars will not support V2G until a new version of the standard is developed and deployed.

Obviously, you *could* develop a V2G solution for Tesla cars but that would be a significant engineering challenge given the hurdles.
collin80

Post by collin80 »

Can anyone take a hi-res picture of the PCS or otherwise tell me the part # of the TMS320 chip(s)? BTW, there should be two CPUs on the PCS. I assume one handles charging and the other DC/DC but I don't know that for sure. All I know is that it has two CPU cores, either both on one chip or there are two chips on there.
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

collin80 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:47 am All I know is that it has two CPU cores, either both on one chip or there are two chips on there.
I think it's one chip (see video)... i'll try and take a photo when I'm next in the workshop :)

muehlpower

Post by muehlpower »

There is only one processor
Attachments
20200907_134303.jpg
collin80

Post by collin80 »

muehlpower wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:50 am There is only one processor
Awesome! Thank you. That indeed is dual core!
muehlpower

Post by muehlpower »

I'm glad I could help. If you need more pictures or information, I have a Europe and a US version here.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Just to remind everyone I did quite a bit of work on this unit last year :
https://github.com/damienmaguire/Tesla-Model-3-Charger
I do have one in a car now so just need to get back to it.
collin80

Post by collin80 »

Jack Bauer wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:00 am Just to remind everyone I did quite a bit of work on this unit last year :
https://github.com/damienmaguire/Tesla-Model-3-Charger
I do have one in a car now so just need to get back to it.
Yeah, that's awesome and I hope everything works well when you get to trying it. But, I want to reverse engineer the existing firmware to see if it's possible to drive the charger with zero hardware changes. Ideally people would like to be able to use a Model 3 battery without opening anything. So, I'm investigating attacking this thing from a different angle to see how it goes. So far, it doesn't go. I can grab the firmware from a Model 3 file system but it seems it is missing the beginning of firmware. I assume this probably has a bootloader in it or something. The processor used always boots to 0x80000 but firmware available starts at 0x82000 or 0x88000 depending on which core you're talking about. So, the entry point isn't in the firmware files and that makes reverse engineering a bit tougher. I wonder if the full firmware can be extracted via JTAG.
mdrobnak

Post by mdrobnak »

collin80 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:58 pm I can grab the firmware from a Model 3 file system but it seems it is missing the beginning of firmware.
Is an image available anywhere publicly? Might be useful in Charge Port controller debugging.

-Matt
collin80

Post by collin80 »

mdrobnak wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:42 pm
collin80 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:58 pm I can grab the firmware from a Model 3 file system but it seems it is missing the beginning of firmware.
Is an image available anywhere publicly? Might be useful in Charge Port controller debugging.

-Matt
Publicly, no. If you happen to magically have root on a Model 3 you can grab the firmware from /deploy/seed_artifacts_v2/<hardware you want the firmware for>
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Ah so you want to run the pcs from the stock hv controller?
paaa

Post by paaa »

Does anyone here have the dimensions and weight of a model 3 PCS? I have an offer of one but need to work out if I can get it shipped from the US.
New Electric Ireland

Post by New Electric Ireland »

paaa wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:24 pm Does anyone here have the dimensions and weight of a model 3 PCS?
I don't have the weight handy but dimensions are here;

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=123#p6056
In Ireland we undertake training & open source RND for the New Electric group, 5 companies converting boats, buses, cars and trucks to electric drive since 2008.
jnsaff

Post by jnsaff »

It feels very light, I’d say 11kg maybe?