Model 3 PCS Controller Support Thread

Topics concerning the Tesla front and rear drive unit drop-in board
Jack Bauer

Model 3 PCS Controller Support Thread

Post by Jack Bauer »

Setting up a support thread for the open source Tesla Model 3 PCS controller.
Please only use this thread for questions relating to the PCS controller, for more general discussion of the PCS and its capabilities and controller development see here :
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=171

Wiki: https://openinverter.org/wiki/Tesla_Mod ... %22PCS%22)

This design is open hardware and software. Sources on Github here :
https://github.com/damienmaguire/Tesla- ... ree/master

Software is based on the Openinverter system and features a full wifi / web browser based interface.
Demo video :

Controler kit :https://www.evbmw.com/index.php/evbmw-w ... -3-pcs-con

NOTE : Links will be updated as we get things fleshed out, wiki updated, videos made etc.

The connector used for communications with the PCS :
https://www.te.com/global-en/product-1379662-5.html
https://www.mouser.ie/ProductDetail/TE- ... KwrJA1Y%3D
Pins : https://www.mouser.ie/ProductDetail/TE- ... DUA4Ad4%3D

In true Muskian fashion it seems they use the 1379662-5 natural color variant of the plug which has no coding tabs. It is of course unavailable from mouser. The black and green variants are functionally identical and should work with coding tabs removed.

3d printable plugs for the PCS : https://github.com/muehlpower/EV-FFB

Update : 20/04/21 : attached pinout and connector data document

Update : 01/12/21 : In an effort to assist those using the PCS I have now released fully functional and commented firmware for the original SAM3 Arduino Due based PCS controller :
https://github.com/damienmaguire/Tesla- ... r/Software

Update : 09/22 : New Firmware now available https://github.com/damienmaguire/Tesla- ... ses/tag/V1
Attachments
PCS_Controller_V3Pinout.pdf
(24.54 KiB) Downloaded 263 times
PCS_Controller_V2Pinout.pdf
(26 KiB) Downloaded 551 times
I'm going to need a hacksaw
fredd90

Re: Model 3 PCS Controller Support Thread

Post by fredd90 »

I have a question regarding contacts to the control unit box, are these included in the delivery or do I need to buy these separately?

Have searched the forum but did not find an answer to my question, should probably be on Mouser or Tme

Thanks in advance
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Plugs are not included. Hold tight a pinout with accompanying part numbers is on the way:)
EDIT : Please see above.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Note : due to a severe restriction on the supply of the Cinch Me-Mx connector header there are two variants of the board. One with the Me-Mx and the other with a 35 way Ampseal header. Both are the same circuit just a different header. Pinouts for the Ampseal variant will be posted here and on the repo shortly. I have also commissioned the design of a 3d printable housing for the Ampseal variant of both this and the Chademo controller. This design will be posted on here and on the repo once completed and test fitted.
Ken_S

Post by Ken_S »

I just placed an order for your PCS controller, extemely excited to get this going... A charger suitable for my model 3 modules is the last missing component before I can start testing.
jon volk

Post by jon volk »

Ken_S wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:49 pm I just placed an order for your PCS controller, extemely excited to get this going... A charger suitable for my model 3 modules is the last missing component before I can start testing.
If its an EVSE you're looking for, Ive been running an OpenEVSE on my Gen2 charger. Fun little project build and highly configurable.
Formerly 92 E30 BMW Cabrio with Tesla power
Domt177

Post by Domt177 »

Are the connectors for plugging in the 4x HV from charging port, DC to/from HV battery and to charging to 12V battery available online anywhere, as my PCS didn’t come with any.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

I'll see if I can find any id markings on mine.
Ken_S

Post by Ken_S »

I disassembled my pack myself, so hopefully I can help here. This is the HVDC connector into the PCS.
Exposed HVDC contacts
Exposed HVDC contacts
HVDC connector labels
HVDC connector labels
HVDC connector plug
HVDC connector plug
I think it is either made to spec for Tesla or it is a Tesla made part, none of the numbers turn up anything other than identical salvage parts.

EDIT: Some searching on Digikey turned up these TE contacts that look similar, and based on their drawings would fit. I choke on 14$/pc :|
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/det ... -2/2327759
nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

Just checked the connectors I have and slight differences. See photos and the stamped codes on the plugs:
11.gif
12.gif
13.gif
14.gif
15.gif
16.gif
17.gif
Ken_S

Post by Ken_S »

Did your connector come from the factory with red and black cables?
nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

Ken_S wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 9:50 pm Did your connector come from the factory with red and black cables?
Yes, came as part of the pack:
19.gif
18.gif
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

There are 3d print options available :
https://github.com/muehlpower/EV-FFB
Ken_S

Post by Ken_S »

nkiernan wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 6:50 am
Ken_S wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 9:50 pm Did your connector come from the factory with red and black cables?
Yes, came as part of the pack:

19.gif

18.gif
Very interesting. That looks considerably easier to deal with than the busbars mine came connected to. What year/region/model was your donor, if you know?
nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

Sourced in an Irish EV breakers, an EU 2019 car is all I have on it
Ken_S

Post by Ken_S »

Jack Bauer wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:16 am
Update : 20/04/21 : attached pinout and connector data document
Can you double check the X420 pinout in your PDF? I only ask because I am re-using the harness from my pack, and in the harness connector to X420, there are no wires in the sockets for pins 10,11, or 12, at least according to the pin numbering defined in the connector datasheet. What pin numbering are you using?
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

That's interesting. So pins 10 and 11 are cp can that is not used by the pcs anyway. Sounds like they deleted them from the loom. Pin 12 is a ground that actually needs to be connected to the case of the pcs so I would also suspect they deleted that in favor of just using the case ground. My pin numbering is as per the service manual wiring diagram. The Wxx numbers are actually printed on the wires so you could check those.
Ken_S

Post by Ken_S »

Jack Bauer wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:09 am That's interesting. So pins 10 and 11 are cp can that is not used by the pcs anyway. Sounds like they deleted them from the loom. Pin 12 is a ground that actually needs to be connected to the case of the pcs so I would also suspect they deleted that in favor of just using the case ground. My pin numbering is as per the service manual wiring diagram. The Wxx numbers are actually printed on the wires so you could check those.
Thanks for confirming. I wasn't aware the service manual was openly available, I should have googled it a year ago:) Attaching a screenshot here for others to reference.
LHD 2018 model 3 PCS x420 Tesla harness pinout
LHD 2018 model 3 PCS x420 Tesla harness pinout
/wrong At a glance it does seem like Tesla isn't using the connector manufacturers suggested pin 1, I will confirm in the morning. /wrong

EDIT: After further review, Tesla does in fact use the manufacturers suggested pin numbering scheme in X420... I incorrecly assumed the connector used a "snake" numbering pattern, which was incorrect. Below is a clip of the connector datasheet with the suggested pin numbering schemed Tesla uses.
Manufacturer/Tesla X420 connector pin numbering
Manufacturer/Tesla X420 connector pin numbering
muehlpower

Post by muehlpower »

Ken_S wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 7:12 am
Jack Bauer wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:09 am That's interesting. So pins 10 and 11 are cp can that is not used by the pcs anyway. Sounds like they deleted them from the loom. Pin 12 is a ground that actually needs to be connected to the case of the pcs so I would also suspect they deleted that in favor of just using the case ground. My pin numbering is as per the service manual wiring diagram. The Wxx numbers are actually printed on the wires so you could check those.
Thanks for confirming. I wasn't aware the service manual was openly available, I should have googled it a year ago:) Attaching a screenshot here for others to reference.
Screenshot_20210525-010323~2.png

At a glance it does seem like Tesla isn't using the connector manufacturers suggested pin 1, I will confirm in the morning.
where did you find the service manual?
fredd90

Post by fredd90 »

muehlpower wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 8:12 am
Ken_S wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 7:12 am
Screenshot_20210525-010323~2.png

At a glance it does seem like Tesla isn't using the connector manufacturers suggested pin 1, I will confirm in the morning.
where did you find the service manual?
I found a manual here, have not bought it myself yet.

https://servicemanuals.online/tesla/140 ... grams.html
nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

Attaching photos of the X420 connector I have for info, last three pins not used on this one either. Just got hold of service manual and wiring diagrams, send a PM
22.gif
23.gif
Ken_S

Post by Ken_S »

nkiernan wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 9:43 am Attaching photos of the X420 connector I have for info, last three pins not used on this one either. Just got hold of service manual and wiring diagrams, send a PM

22.gif

23.gif
I just went though the wire labels and the connector datasheet again, turns out I was wrong. Tesla is using the manufacturers pin numbering scheme, I just mis-identified the unused positions 7,8,9 as 10,11,12.

I edited my post above with the correct pin numbering scheme, so as to minimize future confusion.
nkiernan

Post by nkiernan »

PCS controller up and running and connected to web interface
24.gif

Until I get a wall charger set up, what would be the minimum requirement to be able to use the PCS with 240V single phase domestic supply to allow some testing and light charging of Tesla pack!? Is a fused connection to the AC charge input allowed? If US versions are 120VAC on two pins, will EU PCS work with similar?
14.gif
fredd90

Post by fredd90 »

Hello

Now its time to wire up my Pcs controller, is there a chance that you can control the precharge circuit with the pcs controller? I want to have a set of smaller contactors. Maybe use the output pins, is it possible that the parameters are hidden?

Or is it like the other tesla charger, it won't need any precharge circuit? I am asking because original the pcs was connected after main precharged contactors

Did anyone manage to create a 3d-printed shell to pcs controller? =). Otherwise i will let a friend cad and print a test👍😊
fredd90

Post by fredd90 »

Got in to problems, I think

Everything wired up according to the pinout supplied at first post.

Can't get any pcs values from Web interface, connecting and logging in went great👍

I have selected eu version,

Is there any more changes to get things working?

Got 5v at pin one and pcs is mounted in penthouse,
Also got 13v at pin6(pcs-enable) with or without communication cable connected.

Attached a picture of my pcs:
IMG_20210708_164927_edit_197953986188023.jpg