Using my Tesla to power a concert

Topics concerning the Tesla front and rear drive unit drop-in board
danemyersmusic

Using my Tesla to power a concert

Post by danemyersmusic »

Hi there,

I'm a musician in the US in Florida and since COVID close the venues I've switched to doing drive-in concerts as a covid-safe way of having live music. That being said, a lot of parking lots that I want to play don't have access to power. BUT I have a model 3 and discovered someone who was running part of his home from his DC-DC charger in his PC's and decided to try to emulate his setup.

I wanted to post the design here and see if anyone saw any concerns with it before I implement it. I'm NOT an engineer or electrician by trade so getting hacky with my model 3 is definitely a bit scary for me.

My understanding is that this PC's is capable of outputting 200 amps at 12v. For my show, I only need 800 watts (as measured through a consumer-grade wifi smartplug). This is my first assumption that I'd love any feedback on.

Next, here is the design of the setup. The idea is to use a small external battery to stabilize the voltage going to the inverter. Then basically to just connect the PC's to the inverter and voila. The plan is to leave sentry mode enabled so that the car doesn't go to sleep. My understanding is that if the car sleeps or the car trips for some reason, that it's no big deal and that I can just reset it by removing the hackery by disconnecting the Anderson plug, unplugging the 12v battery in the front of the car, waiting 30 seconds, and then reconnecting it. Good as new.

I got all of the parts in today but before I start crimping stuff I'm hoping I can get some more eyes on it. One thing I'm unclear about is if 3 AWG is enough of if I should have 3/0 wire for 200 amps. I'm also not sure if the cable going to the external 3 amp battery needs to be the same gauge as the wire going to the inverter, or if a smaller wire like 7 aws is ok.

https://danemyersmusic.com/wp-content/u ... sion-1.png

Thank you for any thoughts/concerns you can provide! Oh btw here's a video of me living in my tesla if anyone is up for a laugh and is open to rap. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxZ5s3U ... =DaneMyers

EV_Builder

Re: Using my Tesla to power a concert

Post by EV_Builder »

I would go somewhere in the frunk and insert over there a 12VOLT DC to 120VAC/230VAC converter.

Its not as efficient as going straight from the HV bus but it also makes use of more ready available connections i think.
No clue what you can do to not have the car shutdown the DC converter, but i guess just use power of the 12volt battery.
Other options are injecting the battery pack DC voltage in the same module after the step-up converter. (johu made a video of it).
Converting an Porsche Panamera
see http://www.wdrautomatisering.nl for bespoke BMS modules.