Tesla Large Drive Unit Support Thread

Topics concerning the Tesla front and rear drive unit drop-in board
Jack Bauer

Re: Tesla Large Drive Unit Support Thread

Post by Jack Bauer »

Will do Jon. There will also be tutorial videos for each board showing how to fit missing parts, program etc.
I'm going to need a hacksaw
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

First power up and program test on the V4B Large DU logic board looking good.

Only one mistake from me this time : D1,D2 reverse polarity.
Attachments
2020-01-18 15.19.01.jpg
2020-01-18 15.19.10.jpg
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Running the first V4b large drive unit board from JLC through it's paces on the bench. It just works :)
Attachments
2020-01-19 11.59.48.jpg
2020-01-19 11.59.35.jpg
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

In advance of releasing the new boards for sale (with significant price drops) I decided to make a video detailing exactly how support works for Tesla and other logic boards from the evbmw webshop. I would encourage anyone considering a purchase to please view this video and ensure you are comfortable and familiar with the support structure around these products.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Boards now available on the webshop once again:
https://www.evbmw.com/index.php/evbmw-webshop
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Update : 21/01/20 : V4b design files now released. Both fully built and partial built boards available from the EVBMW webshop : https://www.evbmw.com/index.php/evbmw-webshop
Don't want to buy from me and support ongoing development? That's ok as this release also includes the BOM, CPL and Gerber files needed to build your own at JLCPCB : https://jlcpcb.com

With the new service from JLC I'm pleased to announce a price reduction on fully built boards from 600 Euros to 400 Euros and the reintroduction of partial built boards.
57 Chevy

Post by 57 Chevy »

Hi, I'm building a classic car into an AWD electric using two LDUs. Is there sufficient processing power on the logic board to implement an algorithm that seeks to maximise phase amps (aka torque) at any given throttle and rpm? This would be the basic traction limiter that learns how much phase current can be applied before dω/dt exceeds the acceleration capacity of the vehicle. I'd imagine this will generate a lookup table of rpm and pedal input which defines the maximum phase amps allowable at any given point, much like a fuel injection system measures manifold pressure and rpm to determine the fuel load. On top of that there could be a modifier where values that repeatedly hit the dω/dt limiter were nudged down and values that didn't were nudged up by some allowable percent much like an injection system learns and accommodates for sensor wear over time.

I'd be keen to head this as a project if there isn't one already underway and the hardware can support it.
johu
Site Admin

Post by johu »

It much depends on the interval that this algorithm runs at. The high priority 8.8kHz task currently chews up 40% of the processing power.
Vehicle dynamics happen at a much slower rate, 10ms cycle time is usually sufficient. This task currently takes up less than 1% of processing power despite handling all outgoing CAN messages, cruise control, throttle processing and much more.

The function ProcessThrottle() in stm32_sine.cpp contains a chain of function calls that set or limit throttle depending on user input, voltage, current and so on. The limiting functions are designed to only touch the throttle value if there is reason to limit, otherwise they just pass it on. In the end the lowest limit "wins".
This would be the ideal place to add new throttle limiting functions.

Feel free to fork the entire project onto your own github account and post pull requests when you've successfully tested your addition.
Support R/D and forum on Patreon: https://patreon.com/openinverter - Subscribe on odysee: https://odysee.com/@openinverter:9
57 Chevy

Post by 57 Chevy »

Ok thanks, that sounds promising. I'll start a separate thread
jon volk

Post by jon volk »

57 Chevy wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:39 am Ok thanks, that sounds promising. I'll start a separate thread
Ill be watching and willing to try and help where possible. This is along the lines of something Ive been thinking about for some time. I have been working through some other projects and just tuning the software to make the most of the tire setup. Im a n00b with this stuff but bashing the keys almost every day trying to learn and adapt this stuff to my needs.
Formerly 92 E30 BMW Cabrio with Tesla power
57 Chevy

Post by 57 Chevy »

Question on the hardware side: Is there an intention to do a major revision of the LDU board at some point?
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

57 Chevy wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:28 am Question on the hardware side: Is there an intention to do a major revision of the LDU board at some point?
It's open source so hopefully someone will pick up the project and run with it in the future 8-)
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

I'd like to keep this thread on topic please. If you want to propose / discuss alternative hardware or software design then please setup a new thread. To clarify one point the current revision does support dual throttle channels.
Roadstercycle

Post by Roadstercycle »

Hi Damien, seems to be a little glitch in the shopping cart. If you add an item then go to continue shopping there is no way to get back to check out without adding another item then deleting it after it takes you to the cart. There's no "view cart" button to take you back to the cart if you don't add anything. I was trying to add a gen 2 charger board but realized they are not available yet then could not get back to check out, or I missed the link somewhere on the page.

I talked to my Tesla motor provider today about getting you a Tesla model 3 motor for testing. He said that a company in Canada developed a controller for the 3 and ended up buying all his stock and future stock of motors. Bummer.
Roadstercycle

Post by Roadstercycle »

Will the LDU controller work running the motor in reverse the same as in forward with no issues?
Kevin Sharpe

Post by Kevin Sharpe »

Roadstercycle wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:22 pm Will the LDU controller work running the motor in reverse the same as in forward with no issues?
Yes. Make sure you change the oil pump;

https://zero-ev.co.uk/product/tesla-lar ... -oil-pump/
This is a personal post and I disclaim all responsibility for any loss or damage which any person may suffer from reliance on the information and material in this post or any opinion, conclusion or recommendation in the information and material.
Roadstercycle

Post by Roadstercycle »

Thanks Kevin,

Since I wont be running the gearbox there will be no need for an oil pump. Direct drive 4 wheel drive setup. Total break though for building 4 wheel drive cars with single Tesla motors with 2 adjustable ratios from 9.39 to 1 and 8.38 to 1. I've been working on it for a long time and finally 2 am the other night I woke up with the answer. Just ordered the new LDU controller board for it from Damien. I am totally jazzed.
tom91

Post by tom91 »

You doing a new gearbox or reduction? I do not think an OEM ICE engine gearbox will like that 16000 rpm and instant torque.
Founder Volt Influx https://www.voltinflux.com/
Webstore: https://citini.com/
Roadstercycle

Post by Roadstercycle »

tom91 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:10 am You doing a new gearbox or reduction? I do not think an OEM ICE engine gearbox will like that 16000 rpm and instant torque.
I agree that I would kill an ice gearbox in a heartbeat that's why I'm not using one. I figured a different way to do the reduction. I don't want to give it away yet until I prove it out. On paper, the stresses and numbers look good, the design is solid but as we all know Gremlins always appear when you least expect it.

We are really off topic here so we should I will move it to a different post as I move forward.
invokeperformance

Post by invokeperformance »

Hello, as of 2/14/20 im trying to purchase a large tested Tesla drive unit logic board from EVbmw however I do not see the 'buy now' button. I only have the option to "notify You", are the units currently on back order? Or is this the process to purchase? thanks!
nesto1972

Post by nesto1972 »

Yes, Daimen sell them all.
I think few days before the LDU Controller was avilable.If you not see "buy now" then this is current on backorder!
But dont worry check the website from time to time and learn here from forum for the Controller.

Ps.Tested means not "plug and play" :idea:
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

Sorry the inventory had just hit zero. Now updated. Yeah, I wish the stuff was more user friendly. Doing my best:)
invokeperformance

Damien, I read threw the entire LDU support thread and collected all of the setup and calibration information/FAQ. If you approve I would like to share this information guide I made with your open source information to help new users. If i missed anything please feel free to let me know and i will add it for you!! Cheers keep up the good work!!
Attachments
tesla large drive user guide..docx
(292.55 KiB) Downloaded 207 times
Jack Bauer

Post by Jack Bauer »

That's excellent. Thank you very much:)
invokeperformance

My pleasure! Im glad it helped!!