Where do I connect the 4 pin encoder on the LDU? Unlike the small drive units the encoder must be wired externally from it's 4 pin connector to the 23 pin main input connector via a screened cable. If you are unlucky and don't have the Tesla harness then stranded CAT5e or CAT6 network cable is a good substitute. I have attached some pictures from the Tesla wiring diagrams detailing pin connection from the 4 pin encoder connector (located on the end of the motor housing) to the 23 pin ampseal connector. Here we have the pinout of the 23 way ampseal connector : https://github.com/damienmaguire/Tesla- ... NEW_V2.pdf Pin 1 of the Encoder connector to Pin 17 of the 23way ampseal main connector Pin 2 of the Encoder connector to Pin 16 of the 23way ampseal main connector Pin 3 of the Encoder connector to Pin 10 of the 23way ampseal main connector Pin 4 of the Encoder connector to Pin 9 of the 23way ampseal main connector The screen on the cable should be connected to pin 18 on the 23 way ampseal connector. It is not connected at the encoder plug. My motor spins but it is not stable. if you ever have issues getting a stable spinning motor, plot your rpm/Fstat. If that is really jumpy it means the encoder signal is dirty. Shielded cable is a must, without it the encoder pulses are not clean enough. Additionally, The screen on the cable should be connected to pin 18 on the 23 way ampseal connector. *****The rpm/Fstat plotting doesn't make sense to me...is this clear enough Encoder Wiring (swapping Enc A and B) ********* Please explain when this may happen and what to try How do I connect to the wifi interface for my Tesla LDU? Once 12v power is applied to the board or drive unit the wifi interface becomes available. Simply connect with any wifi enabled device (laptop,phone,tablet etc) to the wifi access point called inverter. The passphrase is inverter123. Once connected point any web browser to 192.168.4.1 to bring up the interface. Note some devices may complain about not being connected to the internet but just ignore. Which pins power the board up the Tesla LDU? Apply 12v+ to Pin 1 Ground Pin 11 ****Are these pins correct? Which pins are used to place the motor in Drive or Reverse? Prior to issuing a Drive or Reverse command, the following steps are taken: Pin 1 is energized with constant 12v+ Pin 22 is connected to ground. Pin 23 has a momentary application of 12v+ to start the inverter. At this point the motor can be placed in Drive by applying constant 12v+ to Pin 7. Alternatively, the motor can be placed in Reverse by applying constant 12v+ to Pin 5. ****** what happens if both 7 and 5 are energized at the same time? **** If neither pin 7 or 5 are asserted, is the motor basically in neutral and can free spin? In other words, is there any affirmative park position that will prevent the wheels of the vehicle from turning? How do I control the precharge circuit in order to connect the High Voltage battery to the inverter? The control of the contactors originates at the inverter's logic board, via pins on the 23-way connector. *****Insert graphic from https://openinverter.org/forum/download/file.php?id=716&mode=view During low voltage testing, the inverter is active and drive is selected. I press the accelerator and nothing happens. Now what? Increase your boost parameter setting by **** at a time until you get movement of the motor. What is the precharge process and why is it important? When making the connection between your high voltage battery and inverter/motor it's important that a precharge of the inverters capacitors is performed. The inverter contains a large capacitor bank that acts much like a sponge and will cause a dramatic spike of current until it hits voltage equalibrium with the connected battery pack. This causes nasty sparks and is very hard on the inverter. The proper method of connecting a high voltage battery with the inverter is to "slowly" (think milliseconds) charge the inverter's capacitor before throwing the main switch. In the case of the Tesla Large Drive Unit - the precharge sequence is handled by the logic board. Typically we use 3 contactors : Negative side contactor, positive side contactor also refered to as the Main contactor and the precharge contactor. The negative side contactor is connected to the same 12v supply as the inverter so when the inverter is powered up this contactor closes and connects the negative terminal of the high voltage battery to the negative terminal of the inverter. Both the positive side contactor and the precharge contactor coils share the same +12v positive connection as the inverter but their grounds are controlled by the microprocessor in the inverter. This is know as ground side switching. Let's say we have a 360v nominal battery pack connected to the inverter. At switch on of 12v supply the negative side and precharge contactors will close allowing the high voltage to enter the inverter capacitor bank via the precharge relay. If the high voltage measured by the inverter (UDC under SPOT VALUES) exceeds the parameter UDCSW within 5 seconds the precharge contactor will remain closed and the inverter will wait for a +12v pulse on the START signal. Once this pulse is received the positive side contactor closes, the precharge contactor opens and the inverter will enter RUN mode and await a throttle signal. If the high voltage measured by the inverter (UDC under SPOT VALUES) does not exceed UDCSW within 5 seconds the precharge contactor opens as the assumption is made that there is a problem with the high voltage system. See the wiring diagram here for connections: https://openinverter.org/forum/download/file.php?id=716&mode=view Why can't I connect to my inverter via the web interface? Once you have applied 12v+ to Pin 1 (source must be capable of 5 amps) and grounded Pin 11 you should see two leds on the logic board. One should be on all the time and one flashing rapidly. Also on the Wifi module a red led should be on all the time. Do I need to do anything to terminate the CAN BUS signal? No, the Open Inverter logic board has CAN termination resistors onboard. Is there a hardware difference between base and performance LDU? **** What are the effects of the brake input pin being pulled up to 12v+? ***** Regen Throttle input is ignored Cruise control, if set, is turned off. What size of resistors should I use in my precharge circuit? ***** Which parameter do I adjust so that regen starts sooner or later in accelerator pedal movement? Using the brknom setting has direct impact on where regen is activated during the movement of accelerator pedal. A brknom setting of 0 implies that regen will not be activated until your foot is completely off the pedal. ***** please review this answer. Where can I find a 23 pin connector for the LDU that has wire (flying leads) already in place? The center harness for an MS3Pro EFI box uses the same 23pin connector as the LDU. This also comes with all positions populated with 8 foot leads of TXL wire that can be re-arranged and youll have plenty of leftover for other connections. https://www.diyautotune.com/product/ms3pro-ultimate-center-harness/ How do I fine tune the settings once the vehicle can move under it's own power? *****I've seen comments that this guide is housed in the wiki already, but I can't find it. If we can reference here instead of the long reply that would be preferred. First you want to find a flat surface - a parking lot etc. so you can drive and stop without checking traffic. Change only one parameter at a time and save settings that work! 1. set fslipmin so that you feel car taking off smoothly and try to change it by +/-0,1Hz and check differences in starting. Save when satisfied. 2. lower boost value in 100pts untill motor jitters at start. Then return it to last good value. 3. try lowering ampmin in 0,1 increments and observe throttle travel. When throttle is not just smooth but becomes sluggish return some previous increments untill throttle reaction is acceptable. 4. change fweak value in +/-10Hz increments from starting point and observe torque in starting. This value is very dependent on battery voltage and is very subjective. Now you find a hill or ramp and set car on it. You want to hold car in position on slope just using throttle pedal. If there parameters are not good motor will jump or will feel sluggish 1. add boost if motor is oscillating if it is smooth reduce it in 100pt increments untill you get oscillation. Then return to last good value 2. reduce/increase ampmin in 0,25 increments untill you get oscilation in motor and return last good value Now set the car into a hill to set fslipmax. Warning full throttle will be used. Be sure there is no other traffic! Set fslipmax to chosen value (guess it at 2xfslipmin if you have no other way) and try to take off with full throttle. If car feels sluggish with full throttle you have to add more slip. If motor starts to jitter there is too much slip. Try to reduce it in 0.1Hz increments. When you feel satisfied with settings save them and go on setting regen and braking effect. What does Brake Off Idle Mode do? ****** Can the LDU be mounted opposite to it orientation in the Tesla and run be driven full speed in Reverse? Yes, if you change out the oil pump. https://zero-ev.co.uk/product/tesla-large-drive-unit-replacement-reverse-drive-oil-pump/